• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Some Birmingham Buses

In post 1 there are two pics of Midland Red buses, 2 and 9. Pic. 4 shown a former West Bromwich and two former Coventy corporation buses presumably in the lighter blue of the West Midlands fleet. If you lived to the south of the city, as I did, then both BCT and B&MMO buses were always seen. In the early 1950's once every hour on the 150 Birmingham to Stratford upon Avon could be seen a Stratford Blue bus.
Post 3 shows a Crossley over the pit and one I have not seen before is bus 769 in wartime livery.
The Potteries bus looks like it might be similar to a Birmingham Standard just a few body style variants.

Last edited:
The Stratford Blue buses on route 150 always showed 'On Hire to Midland Red' for legal reasons as this had to be operated as a Midland Red route rather than a joint service. Stratford Blue were not a party to the Birmingham agreement so could not operate in their own right into Birmingham.

In respect of posts 4 and 5, the Stratford Blue buses were only used on the 150 route due to a Midland Red staff shortage. I guess many preferred the higher wages then prevalent in the car industry. I knew someone who was a highly qualified upholsterer but found sweeping floors at Longbridge more financially rewarding, well so he said.

In respect of posts 4 and 5, the Stratford Blue buses were only used on the 150 route due to a Midland Red staff shortage.

Alan, I accept that this may have been the original reason but it did become standard practice for many years with the Straford Blue services being marked as such in the Midland Red timetable. For interest this EEF model is on sale currently on the internet. From the vehicle registration number and the fact that it is a single decker dates it from a time when the Stratford Blue was no longer part of the Midland Red

Attachments

• Stratford Blue.jpg
    Stratford Blue.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 26
I mentioned in an earlier post that I often timed my bus visit to Birmingham when one of the Stratford Blue buses were due. This sharing of buses by the Midland Red (B&MMO) and Stratford Blue meant four Stratford buses and three Midland operated the daytime service. Midland Red operated evenings and Sunday services. Their bright blue and cream, with silver roofs certainly stood out in the Bull Ring. Although being owned by Midleand Red since 1935 the Stratford buses had a great deal of autonomy: they were not absorbed like the others companies taken over by the B&MMO.

Alan, I accept that this may have been the original reason but it did become standard practice for many years with the Straford Blue services being marked as such in the Midland Red timetable. For interest this EEF model is on sale currently on the internet. From the vehicle registration number and the fact that it is a single decker dates it from a time when the Stratford Blue was no longer part of the Midland Red
The vehicle was fleet no 36 - reg no XNX136H a Leyland Leopard PSU3a/4R with an Alexander 'Y-Type' coach body, bought in 1970. According to Robert L Telfer's book Stratford Blue which is a history of the company accompanying a photo of this bus on page240, this is one of at least two Stratford Blue vehicles to have been restored close to original condition. It was also the last vehicle to enter service with the original Stratford Blue. There is also a picture of it on page 211 as being one of four Stratford Blue coaches to receive National Express livery. It became Midland Red No 2036.

Thanks for this informatio0n about the original vehicle on which the model is based.

I remember seeing buses carrying the Stratford Blue name in the 1990s when I was working in Alcester. I assumed that this was no connection with the old Stratford Blue and just a bus operator reusing the old name.

Thanks for this informatio0n about the original vehicle on which the model is based.

I remember seeing buses carrying the Stratford Blue name in the 1990s when I was working in Alcester. I assumed that this was no connection with the old Stratford Blue and just a bus operator reusing the old name.
According to the book, there have been four reincarnation of the company's name. The book is a well written history with loads of pictures and also a complete fleet list. The most surprising thing is the area they covered and the routes they ran.
Bob Davis

You will find it an interesting reading David. Not only is there a great deal about Stratford Blue but it gives much detail about the other companies, many taken over by Stratford Blue and it parent company.

The vehicle was fleet no 36 - reg no XNX136H a Leyland Leopard PSU3a/4R with an Alexander 'Y-Type' coach body, bought in 1970. According to Robert L Telfer's book Stratford Blue which is a history of the company accompanying a photo of this bus on page240, this is one of at least two Stratford Blue vehicles to have been restored close to original condition. It was also the last vehicle to enter service with the original Stratford Blue. There is also a picture of it on page 211 as being one of four Stratford Blue coaches to receive National Express livery. It became Midland Red No 2036.

Now preserved and in operating condition at Aldridge (formerly Aston Manor) Transport Museum. I travelled on it myself at a running day last year.

Simon

Thanks for the recommendations about the book on the Stratford Blue. The copy I ordered secondhand arrived in the post today and looks a good read.

When I was still at school I often travelled around the Midlands on a Midland Red Child's Day Anywhere ticket. Although I had no hope of doing the journey, I did, as an academic exercise, plan a route from Birmingham to London by bus. This was Midland Red/Stratford Blue to Stratford, Stratford Blue/City of Oxford to Oxford, City of Oxford to High Wycombe and LT Green Line to London. There is a pedantic argument about whether Green Line were buses or coaches but my view is that they had conductors who sold tickets so they were buses.

A bit of research has shown that I would have to make a lot more changes today. Birmingham-Stratford-Chipping Norton-Oxford-Aylesbury-High Wycombe-Uxbridge-Shepherds Bush-Central London

Hello David. I did some research a couple of years ago into whether I could travel by bus from Guildford, Surrey (near where I live) to Birmingham using a free bus pass and do it in one day. It was possible: Guildford-Aldershot-Reading-Oxford-Chipping Norton-Stratford-Birmingham but it would take from about 9.30 to 18.00. I just haven't been bothered and always take a speedy train rather than spending most of the day on a bus. Dave.

there was a nice pic of the old stratford blue but its gone. another one found on birmingham busses
pic courtesy of lloyd thanks sir

Attachments

• strat blue.jpg
    strat blue.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
there was a nice pic of the old stratford blue but its gone. another one found on birmingham busses
pic courtesy of lloyd thanks sir
I delightful photo, which I have on file, of Stratford Blue 38 GUE 244. A Leyland PD2 of 1948 which was withdrawn from the fleet in 1963. It passed to Priory Coaches, of Leamington Spa that year. I have no facts after that.

I have treated the photos to make it look better ? the problem with bus fleet colours, even those in service they can vary, if you look at preserved buses they can vary in colour, (it does depend the last time they were painted and or where they are stored), I have to say that I thought that the bus in the photo was close to the original B.C.T. colour but was not quite right,

Looks very much like Stockfield Rd. Didn't have buses when I lived there. Also a question, in both your pictures and those on Facebook in some of the shots the "cream" colour looks very yellow. Why should this be?

I delightful photo, which I have on file, of Stratford Blue 38 GUE 244. A Leyland PD2 of 1948 which was withdrawn from the fleet in 1963. It passed to Priory Coaches, of Leamington Spa that year. I have no facts after that.
thanks alan i wonder'd were gue 244 went. how many of them blue busses were there?

Back