• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Some 30s - 50s photos

Thanks for posting all the shots of Stonehenge visits. I can understand why they are protecting these days. Years ago you could just walk around and
it was good to know that you could do that.

The model train shots remind me of my cousins set up in their house in Walmley and my brother small Hornby Doublo set at home. Lovely memories. I haven't seen a lot of private railway layouts but I remember seeing a very good layout at Alton Towers twenty years ago. Peter, it's always a treat to see your models. They are excellent. Thanks for posting them.

A lovely photo Lloyd. It reminds me of my brothers when they had a train set. Of course I was allowed no where near it.:(
Of course you couldn't play with it Wendy, what were you thinking?!
I bought my son a nice Hornby train set when he was born. It really was for him you know, not me.:rolleyes:
The irony of it was he wasn't at all interested in it. I've still got it in my loft 28 years later!

Of course it was for your son David thats why you still have it:D. I was upset the other day when my brother said he was going to sell his steam engine. Another thing I wasn't allowed to touch but I loved to watch it going and steam comming from the chimney......oh happy days!

Don't worry Lyn they are still there and will be still there no doubt when we have gone. I pass them 4/6 times per year and they never cease to amaze me. The site is so much bigger than first was thought so in the future they may open that up too. There is talk of widening the road to accommodate the extra traffic...Cat

hi cat..maybe i could sneak in under cover of darkness....:D:D:D:Dcould send rog in to do a reccy first...:D

Be carful there is a druid up there he was told to depart by the 3rd of May i think but was still there yesterday, Then again he could be a bit of Wacky fun so take Rog with you lol... Cat

Here's a 1930's photo of my dad leaning against a stone at Stonehenge.
He was in Wiltshire building huts for the army. Looks like he put his best suit on for the occasion. I don't think they let you go near the stones these days.
icon7.gif

My dad was in the Wiltshires, Devises, 1933-1939. Called back up just after because of the war- went into the Signals for the duration. Wonder if they knew each other? Probably not, but who knows?

I lived in Varley Road 1957-1980. Born in Saltley 1957. Doubt our paths crossed, but we may have mutual friends.

Here’s a pic of my dad (the goalie). The picture was too big to go on the copier complete, so I had to do some black arts and play with the copier and size.

The text which is missing reads-

Across the top: 1st Bn. The Wiltshire Regiment. Winners of the Singapore Amateur Football Association Cup 1933.

To the left: v. R.A.F. 2-1
v. S.C.C. 3-1

To the right- v. S.S. Police 7-1
Final v. Malays 5-3

Across the bottom- F. Baker—L/c F.T. Jones—L/c J. Worsdell—J. Hawkins—J. Higgins—L/c E. Maris—L/c E. Broad—W. O. Shenton—Cpl. G. Stopher

R.S.M., R. Billings—Sgt. C. Shirley—Capt. G. P. Oldfield— Lt.-Col. J. H. Mee—2/Lieut. G. Wort—/c. R. J. Nutland (Captain) —C.S.M.E. Veck, M.M. —W.Earle—L/c. M. Haynes.

The other pic is a portrait of my dad cropped from the team pic.

Last edited:
Back