• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Some 30s - 50s photos

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
I'm going through an old album from my Uncle. Unfortunately there's no hard clues about what or who they are. I've made a couple of "reasoned" guesses. Hope you enjoy them.
The first is a "Dig for Victory" picture from the 2nd WW. I imagine the reference to "Metal Aircraft" is the Spitfire production at Castle Bromwich.

Next one. He was a keen rambler. Although this isn't him it seems to be one of his mates relaxing after a hard day's walk in North Wales (a favourite location). Look at those metal studs in his walking boots!

No idea who these scally wags are. They look happy 'though. The only clue is written on the back "Coach trip to North Wales".

These last 2 are of an unknown lady but I love her wheelchair with it's "pullalong" handle. Looking at the Cloche hats I imagine it's from the 20s.

david... what lovely photos...thanks for sharing them with us....

i wouldnt like to be on the wrong end of those studs...lol..

lyn:)

Hello David,
Interesting pictures; I think the 'pullalong handle' is more likely the lift-up steering handlebar. Is the vehicle not a Bath Chair?
Ted

Hello David,
Interesting pictures; I think the 'pullalong handle' is more likely the lift-up steering handlebar. Is the vehicle not a Bath Chair?
Ted
Thanks for putting me right Ted. I had visions of the old man pulling her along with his back to her.:rolleyes: Stupid or what?

Perhaps the tin chapel on the right of the last picture would help to identify the location.
On the decade the pics were taken, I think it might be early 30s. My mum wore hats like that until the mid-30s, from what I remember of the family photos.
Lovely to see anyway - thanks for putting them on.
Peter

Peter, funily enough there are some other photos which have references to Wales on the back. First impressions, I thought the old lady looked Welsh, don't know why. So your reference to "chapel" might be right. Thanks.:)

Interesting to compare the boys' footware. The one on the left has the old type clumpy boots, the second's got his wellies on and the last 2 seem to have softer shoes. Pumps maybe?

Here's a 1930's photo of my dad leaning against a stone at Stonehenge.
He was in Wiltshire building huts for the army. Looks like he put his best suit on for the occasion. I don't think they let you go near the stones these days.
Touching_the__Stones.jpg

lovely pic oldmohawk...you are correct in thinking that access is now restricted to the stones due to vandalism.. i beleive you can get close to them but these visits have to be supervised ...wish i had taken my chance when passing them many years ago...

astoness:)

My Canadian cousin's boys, Colin and Craig, playing with their trainset in the basement of their Montreal home. This would have been Christmas 1959.

A lovely photo Lloyd. It reminds me of my brothers when they had a train set. Of course I was allowed no where near it.:(

...wish i had taken my chance when passing them many years ago...

Lyn,

I took that chance with my daughters and their cousin in Dec 1977. After my mum passed away I visited my brother in Southampton, took advantage of being in the area and showed my kids Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge at a time when you could just walk in. I know it's not 50's but I thought it was worth posting.

Seeing that last picture prompts me put on this photo of some models I made and showed at Manchester in December 1952.
Peter

Last edited:
thanks for the lovely pic graham...it must have been around 1977 when i should have seized the moment..

lyn:)

Last edited:
In my early days of coach driving, c 1971/2, I took a school party there and they all sat on the ground leaning against the stones having their packed lunches. I remember thinking, if the ancient druids could see this they'd come shouting "It isn't a cafe!"

Thanks for posting all the shots of Stonehenge visits. I can understand why they are protecting these days. Years ago you could just walk around and
it was good to know that you could do that.

The model train shots remind me of my cousins set up in their house in Walmley and my brother small Hornby Doublo set at home. Lovely memories. I haven't seen a lot of private railway layouts but I remember seeing a very good layout at Alton Towers twenty years ago. Peter, it's always a treat to see your models. They are excellent. Thanks for posting them.

A lovely photo Lloyd. It reminds me of my brothers when they had a train set. Of course I was allowed no where near it.:(
Of course you couldn't play with it Wendy, what were you thinking?!
I bought my son a nice Hornby train set when he was born. It really was for him you know, not me.:rolleyes:
The irony of it was he wasn't at all interested in it. I've still got it in my loft 28 years later!

Of course it was for your son David thats why you still have it:D. I was upset the other day when my brother said he was going to sell his steam engine. Another thing I wasn't allowed to touch but I loved to watch it going and steam comming from the chimney......oh happy days!

Don't worry Lyn they are still there and will be still there no doubt when we have gone. I pass them 4/6 times per year and they never cease to amaze me. The site is so much bigger than first was thought so in the future they may open that up too. There is talk of widening the road to accommodate the extra traffic...Cat

hi cat..maybe i could sneak in under cover of darkness....:D:D:D:Dcould send rog in to do a reccy first...:D

Be carful there is a druid up there he was told to depart by the 3rd of May i think but was still there yesterday, Then again he could be a bit of Wacky fun so take Rog with you lol... Cat

Here's a 1930's photo of my dad leaning against a stone at Stonehenge.
He was in Wiltshire building huts for the army. Looks like he put his best suit on for the occasion. I don't think they let you go near the stones these days.
icon7.gif

My dad was in the Wiltshires, Devises, 1933-1939. Called back up just after because of the war- went into the Signals for the duration. Wonder if they knew each other? Probably not, but who knows?

Back