• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

1900s soldier

Status
Not open for further replies.

ollybean

Allcock family circa 1900 probably at 8 Court,.jpgThe photo shows my ancestors.
Judging by the banners they are welcoming home the soldier, whom I think is my great uncle, born circa 1881.
I wondered what service he would have had at this time as the picture would have been taken around early 1900's.
If it is the man I think he is I have some papers referring to short service with the colours for 3 years and 9 years in the reserves.
Joined up at the age of 20 on 3rd Feb 1902 in the "South Stafford" written above the "S.Lanc R." on the enlistment form.
Some of the family at the time were living at 3 court, 8 house, Berners street. Aston, Birmingham.
Sorry about the size of the photo as I don't know how to make it larger.

If his name was Arthur Allcock, then his service record is on Ancestry (and probably other sites). One of the sheets lists him as landing in India 22 Nov 03, being stationed at Saugor, Agra, Allahabad and arriving in Pretoria Dec 1907.

on FMP there is a record of his Militia Attestation dated 24 July 1899 when he was 17 years and 10 months.

His regimental number was 7213 6th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Thanks. Yes he was Arthur Allcock and all I could find on Ancestry was his enlistment as on my original post.
How do I find his service records ?
Bewdley, what is an Attestation and how would he change from Royal Warwickshire to South Staffordshire Regiment to service number 7126 ?
Now I know the Royal Warwickshire bit I can decipher what it says on the enlistment. I found, under question 10 it looks like he belongs to the RW, and question 11 that he says "except to the militia and in which I am still serving"
It doesn't make much sense to me as a none military person.
Thanks PS I wondered about the uniform.

On Ancestry when you click on view image it takes you to the first one. To see the next one click on the right arrow and so on until you reach the next soldier (there can be any number).

I think in those days the militia was like a reserve (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). I had a great uncle who joined the Worcestershire Regiment militia and then joined the Welsh Fusiliers. Perhaps young men used it as a try out, to see if they liked the army life.

Found online..."The militia was transformed into the Special Reserve by the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907."

Dear moderators,
as I have the answer to my query I might as well delete my post.
I cannot find the option to do so. Can you advise me please.

Suggestion noted, ollybean, but I personally feel it would be much preferable to leave the thread on file. It was an interesting question and the responses are also of interest. It will now become part of the Forum archive recording another fragment of Birmingham history. And who knows, with the help of Google, perhaps one day someone else with a specific connection to the man himself might uncover it and take the discussion further.

Chris

I agree Chris it all helps advise and interest others.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back