• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soldier in 1890

alitrem

proper brummie kid
I am trying to find some information on my great great grandfather Francis John Donnelly. When he was married in 1890 it says his occupation was a soldier. This was the first I have ever heard of him being a soldier so curious if anyone can tell me where I might be able to find this information out. Where I might be able to located records etc.

This information came off of his marriage certificate to Emma Birch. Married in Birmingham.

Alitrem

Was your ancestor born in St. John, Newfoundland, Canada? If so Find My Past has six records of his service. He attested aged 19 on 29 Jan 1883 at Leith Fort (which was in Scotland I believe) . Occupation Groom. His father is Patrick Donnelly, 11 Balfour Street, Glasgow.
The 1881 Scotland Census has them living in Maryhill, Lanarkshire (Glasgow I believe)
Patrick Donnelly B1831 Ireland - Shoemaker
Elizabeth Donnelly B1835 Newfoundland - wife
Mary Ann Donnelly B1859 Newfoundland - daughter
Francis Donnelly B1861 Newfoundland - son - occupation Vanman (unemployed)
William Donnelly B1873 Ireland - son

Suzanne

Alitrem

Was your ancestor born in St. John, Newfoundland, Canada? If so Find My Past has six records of his service. He attested aged 19 on 29 Jan 1883 at Leith Fort (which was in Scotland I believe) . Occupation Groom. His father is Patrick Donnelly, 11 Balfour Street, Glasgow.
The 1881 Scotland Census has them living in Maryhill, Lanarkshire (Glasgow I believe)
Patrick Donnelly B1831 Ireland - Shoemaker
Elizabeth Donnelly B1835 Newfoundland - wife
Mary Ann Donnelly B1859 Newfoundland - daughter
Francis Donnelly B1861 Newfoundland - son - occupation Vanman (unemployed)
William Donnelly B1873 Ireland - son

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne.
Yes that should be him as we was born in Newfoundland.
What interests me more is the fact you say it says Occupation Groom. Perhaps another marriage I am unaware of?

Off to see what I can find on that website. Is it a paid member site?

In 1891 he is living with wife Emma at 1, 9 Court, Francis Street, Nechells, Birmingham and his occupation is Coachman (which rather ties in with previous occupation of groom) and Emma is a press worker.

Back