• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Road Handsworth

My great great grandad and great grandad had a gentleman's outfitters shop on Soho Road. It was number 127, it was there in 1924. It's name was Dale and Sons Gentlemans Outfitters. Maybe someone will have a photo, I have one. The shop is on the left here.View attachment 147605
Perhaps if any member is cogniscent of Birmingham postcard publishers they could explain why this postcard has two reference numbers and titles or is it a reissue, where the original did not have the No 479 detail and this was added later as the early PC publishers were meticulous with dates and would not have used c1900. Shop blind making must have been a nice little earner.

Hello. Lived in Babington Road 1956-1985 just off Soho Rd: Qu > Was the hardware shop called the "Little Red Shop" just opposite the Red Lion ? it was the "smell of parafin" that triggered me off - my mom used to send me round every week or so for a gallon of parrafin.

Great memories of the ABC Regal and the minor's on a Sat morning, used to be 6d stalls & 9d circle.
There was a scrap black model T ford on the car park for years.

There was a milestone (same as or very similar to the earlier pic) situated close to the wesleyan holiness church up towards the New Innes and I am 100% sure it is still there.
My good friend Steve barker lived in Babington rd back in the 70s we went to school togeather and went to Bolton rd school on fridays and Tuesdays for the St John ambulance .saw him in 2000 , he worked at lucas York rd .

Just looked at the Google map you put on Lyn, and the shop that has been demolished is the corner one which was a café. This old postcard from 1919 shows the top of Villa Road/Soho Road with the corner shop selling watches (that became the café) on the right.
I worked there as a paperboy in 1968 _1969 it was dill ons then one of the customers were soho house , the police lived there then.

Soho Road looking towards the city, date unknown and it looks like 'hometime'. I think the building on the left is St Michael's School which was on the corner of Thornhill Road and on the right is Holliday Road - but I could be wrong ...
St Michael's Primary School was demolished in the late 1960s as mentioned elsewhere in this thread. In the top left corner is an early carbon arc light, see them in the Street Furniture thread.
zSohoRdSchool.jpg

The photo is pre 1915 judging by the tramcar destination board - rather than a numeral box at roof level.
As the car seems to be in Corporation livery that would date it after 1906.

Last edited:
Hello. Lived in Babington Road 1956-1985 just off Soho Rd: Qu > Was the hardware shop called the "Little Red Shop" just opposite the Red Lion ? it was the "smell of parafin" that triggered me off - my mom used to send me round every week or so for a gallon of parrafin.

Great memories of the ABC Regal and the minor's on a Sat morning, used to be 6d stalls & 9d circle.
There was a scrap black model T ford on the car park for years.

There was a milestone (same as or very similar to the earlier pic) situated close to the wesleyan holiness church up towards the New Innes and I am 100% sure it is still there.
My friend lived in Babington road, Graham Barker - we went to Handsworth Grammar. I think he became a dentist. We worked as butcher's boys at Arthur Rose at the corner of Soho road/Babington rd - my mother-in law Daisy Hateley also worked there.
arthur rose wall.jpg

sorry rob i was only going on street view 2019 which show that arthur rose has a frozen meat centre around the corner in babbington road so i assumed they were still in business

A postcard view dated 1953. The road to the left is Murdock Road. Some of the buildings are still there including the Red Lion pub, the building that was, in 1953, Boots the Chemist (with the gable) and the one next to it that was the Co-op (striped brickwork). The garage petrol pumps next to the Red Lion have, of course, gone. Wonder if there’s a ghost sign of “Cafe” underneath the billboard above the nail bar ? Viv.

0A4AE292-F95C-4EA8-9658-A45DCE732007.jpeg2FDCE7DC-4D1B-4956-BAB5-9348BE9850A2.jpeg

Last edited:
I love the pics Viv, I prefer the old one, think must be post war, with all the prams for the baby boomers, it looks as I remember it, clean, functional, cosy. Think the new one looks harsh, no soul. Paul

A postcard view dated 1953. The road to the left is Murdock Road. Some of the buildings are still there including the Red Lion pub, the building that was, in 1953, Boots the Chemist (with the gable) and the one next to it that was the Co-op (striped brickwork). The garage petrol pumps next to the Red Lion have, of course, gone. Wonder if there’s a ghost sign of “Cafe” underneath the billboard above the nail bar ? Viv.

View attachment 161229View attachment 161230
And next to the COOP on the left was a greengrocers, next to that was WT Bakers, butchers where is used to work after school. Also helped out at the one in Perry Barr.

Back