• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Road Handsworth

I can remember the name Blundells, if I remember rightly it wasn’t far from the Market and on the same side of the road. I seem to think that Woolworths was actually on the Soho Road, on the opposite side of the Market. I bought my first Max Factor mascara from there, lovely blue colour. Had to wet the brush and rub it on the pad. Jen

hi jen yes that sound about right to me...if mikejee sees this post he maybe able to look in kellys directories for the exact location of blundells...

lyn

Handsworth – woolies Store

210 – 214 Soho Road, Handsworth, Birmingham B21 9LU
The first Woolworths store to open in the year of 1928 was in Handsworth, Birmingham. It opened on Soho Road (It’s the middle terraced building in this photo. Burton is on the far right in an Art Deco style building.)
Handsworth Woolworth 1930s

Blundells (John Blundell Ltd.) are mentioned in other threads here.
They were credit drapers, with a London head office. They also sold lots of other things such as furniture, most of which was on weekly payments collected by their travellers. (Tally men, Pack men etc.). They had branches all over England - maybe other parts of the UK as well.

They were credit drapers, with a London head office. They also sold lots of other things such as furniture, most of which was on weekly payments collected by their travellers. (Tally men, Pack men etc.). They had branches all over England - maybe other parts of the UK as well.

The first Woolworths store to open in the year of 1928 was in Handsworth, Birmingham. It opened on Soho Road (It’s the middle terraced building in this photo. Burton is on the far right in an Art Deco style building.)

Lovely, mwOnjm. I remember that it lay back further off the road than the other shops.

Jen

Mom used to save up the pennies and buy one or two pieces of furniture from there. I think a bedroom suite that she had from there is still being used.
Jen

thanks for the map mike...will do a street view to see if the blundell building is still there

lyn

good god I remember Fosters to the right of the market.
I'm new to the site, and am taking great delight in scouring it before commenting aptly on threads.
I'm from Handsworth, now 58 yo but living in Swansea. My memory is getting jogged more and more by the minute.

welcome to the forum elmo....enjoy

lyn

hi carol and welcome..it would be nice to see a photo of your dad anyway as someone may recognise him...chances are i got on his bus more than once when i caught the no 70s from hockley to get the hawthorns football ground

lyn

hi carol and welcome..it would be nice to see a photo of your dad anyway as someone may recognise him...chances are i got on his bus more than once when i caught the no 70s from hockley to get the hawthorns football ground

lyn
Thank you for adding me Lyn.
I will add a photo then as you never know!
He was a bus driver late fifties.

IABF6AE47-9945-442C-8A24-CC39373AAD62.png

Back