• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Road Handsworth

ASparks - I remember your shop. If I remember correctly, I think I bought something, a shirt maybe, from the men's outfitters. I never even went into the Frighted Horse, but if I fancied a swift half at lunchtime I went to the pub further up Soho Road from your shop. Was it The Bull?

G

The OS Map published 1945, from Hollyhead Rd to Soho Hill, may help to get bearings...

View attachment 143504View attachment 143505
The OS Map published 1945, from Hollyhead Rd to Soho Hill, may help to get bearings...

View attachment 143504View attachment 143505
Great looking at these OS Maps, Pedrocut. I lived in Sycamore Road near to Queens Head Road, in the 50’s. Remember mom working at the Capstan Works, she loved it there. Interesting looking at all of the roads. Soho Road was so exciting to me as a kid with 6d to spend on Saturday! Thank you, Jen

my rellies ran the barrel back in the early 1900s...closed down about 5 years ago just after i went in to take some photos then became lloyds chemist...think the chemist has gone now so not sure what the building is used for..

lyn

ASparks, where did you work? The girl I later married worked in accounts at Dudley's Furnishings, and I spent probably the worst year of my life 'managing' the sports shop near The Frighted Horse pub. Most of that year I spent looking for a proper job, which I eventually did and got out of the place early 1969 IIRC. I actually quite liked the atmos in Soho Road in those days.

G
Sorry do not know when the opposite Frighted Horse photo was taken

BUT ASparks comment "The girl I later married" reminded me that opposite the Frighted Horse Pub was the Elasona Coffee Bar, and round about 1966 I met "The girl I later married" when she spoke to me inside the Elasona, I attach a photo taken in almost that same position.
The owner of the coffee bar was Emilio Angelides (Poppa) and Charlie (left in photo) taken in the Elasona 1966

I had my 18th birthday party in 1963 at the Red Lion Pub, and walked home after 18 pints!
Later I remember we used to start drinking at the Hawthorns Pub, and walk towards the City centre intending to drink 1/2 pint in each pub, including Red Lion, The Barrell , Frighted Horse, Roebuck and many more I believe 18 in total, and return on the bus, when unable to drink anymore. .

EPSON018C Elasona Poppa.jpg

It wasn't me but Big G who mentioned 'the girl I later married' ;)

I remember the Elasona (sp?) very well, my friend and I used to go in there for coffee and play the Vanilla Fudge tunes on their mini juke box.
I think the cafe has been mentioned before on this or another thread.

It wasn't me but Big G who mentioned 'the girl I later married' ;)

I remember the Elasona (sp?) very well, my friend and I used to go in there for coffee and play the Vanilla Fudge tunes on their mini juke box.
I think the cafe has been mentioned before on this or another thread.
Sorry ASparks I got confused
I used to go in the Sports Shop (wasn't it a Toy Shop as well?) sure I used to buy Airfix kits around about then.
I've still got the remains of one of these kits (See photo) also Frighted Horse pic.
003R.jpgFrighted Horse Soho Rd Handsworth.jpg

It was me who wrote about the 'girl I later married', but she worked at Dudley's Furnishings and I met her in the late summer of 1968 when she came into the sports shop. Our first 'date' was lunch at the little cafe on the same side of Soho Road, just past the Town Hall buildings. I can't recall its name just now, but I think it was owned by a Polish family.

The shop was indeed for toys and models as well as sports goods. The 'Handsworth Sports House' and owned by the same chap who owned the sports and toy shop in Linton Square, Perry Barr. IIRC he lived in Grestone Avenue, Handsworth Wood. The Soho Road shop was an awful place, in need of a LOT of repair, but probably so were most premises along the Soho Road in those days.

I remember The Elasona, and may have gone in there once or twice. There was also an Indian restaurant nearby, went there a few times.

G

used to love shopping up the soho road with our mom during the 60s walked down villa st into nursery road up soho hill onto soho road...great place to shop but so very different now...does anyone recall a shop called blundells...im sure it was on the left of soho road..i think this is where mom used to spend her provi cheque for christmas presents for us 6 kids

lyn

used to love shopping up the soho road with our mom during the 60s walked down villa st into nursery road up soho hill onto soho road...great place to shop but so very different now...does anyone recall a shop called blundells...im sure it was on the left of soho road..i think this is where mom used to spend her provi cheque for christmas presents for us 6 kids

lyn
I can remember the name Blundells, if I remember rightly it wasn’t far from the Market and on the same side of the road. I seem to think that Woolworths was actually on the Soho Road, on the opposite side of the Market. I bought my first Max Factor mascara from there, lovely blue colour. Had to wet the brush and rub it on the pad. Jen

Back