• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Road Handsworth

I am attempting to make sense of the Withers and Flynn's addresses which include Soho Park Rd.

Kelly's Directory for 1872, has Soho Park, with a list of six named properties underneath it, including Granville House, Soho Park Road.

1861 Fanny Flynn is aged 4 at 2 Soho St, Handsworth, with her father George F Flynn. I have no information re Walter Withers in 1861, although it looks that he was with his father Edwin Withers at 393 Farm st, Birmingham.

1871 Census Fanny Flynn is at 'Miss Mary Harris’s Ladies Boarding School', 'Montpellier House', Abbey Hill; while Walter Withers is at the Royal School of Art, South Kensington London; Edwin Withers is at 16 Soho Park Rd, Handsworth.

1881 Census has George Flynn at 25 Soho Rd, Handsworth, with his daughter Fanny Flynn; Edwin Withers is at Granville House, Park Rd, Handsworth with Walter Withers.

The 1889 Ordnance Survey maps has Granville House in Park Avenue, (not Park Street or Park Road) a square free-standing building with a long garden. Today Park Avenue is still an Avenue. Might it have once been Granville House, Soho Park Rd?

With grateful thanks
Daid

I am attempting to make sense of the Withers and Flynn's addresses which include Soho Park Rd.

Kelly's Directory for 1872, has Soho Park, with a list of six named properties underneath it, including Granville House, Soho Park Road.

1861 Fanny Flynn is aged 4 at 2 Soho St, Handsworth, with her father George F Flynn. I have no information re Walter Withers in 1861, although it looks that he was with his father Edwin Withers at 393 Farm st, Birmingham.

1871 Census Fanny Flynn is at 'Miss Mary Harris’s Ladies Boarding School', 'Montpellier House', Abbey Hill; while Walter Withers is at the Royal School of Art, South Kensington London; Edwin Withers is at 16 Soho Park Rd, Handsworth.

1881 Census has George Flynn at 25 Soho Rd, Handsworth, with his daughter Fanny Flynn; Edwin Withers is at Granville House, Park Rd, Handsworth with Walter Withers.

The 1889 Ordnance Survey maps has Granville House in Park Avenue, (not Park Street or Park Road) a square free-standing building with a long garden. Today Park Avenue is still an Avenue. Might it have once been Granville House, Soho Park Rd?

With grateful thanks
Daid
Having had a good look at the maps (thank you) and Censuses again, I now think that what was given was the district first "Soho" then the street "Park St" or road whichever is correct.
Thanks for your help.

Ashley Place was divided in two (Even though it was possible to walk from Baker Street to Dawson Road) if my memory serves me right in the middle where toilets and wash houses,maybe one half came under Dawson Road and the other Baker Street,there was also another Terrace,that too was in two halves the name escapes me at the moment though.
My year 6 pupils will be doing a project to find out about the people who lived in Ashleigh place in the summer as our school is situated where Ashleigh place once stood. Any information or contacts would be brilliant to support this.

hi jaybazzie and welcome...not quite sure what info you are after when you say you want to find out about the people...could you be a bit more specific please...

lyn

My year 6 pupils will be doing a project to find out about the people who lived in Ashleigh place in the summer as our school is situated where Ashleigh place once stood. Any information or contacts would be brilliant to support this.
The following may be of interest.
Aerial view dated 1947. (cropped from image EAW008628 and Aerofilms edit marks removed)
Key
1. Library
2. Grove Lane/Soho Road junction.
3. Grammar School.
4. Baker Street.
5. Dawson Road.
Grove Lane Area 1947.jpg

Map dated 1956.
Key numbers match locations on aerial view.
Map_1956.jpg

Aerial view 2019 with matching key numbers.
2019.jpg

Sources
Google Earth.
These forum images can be saved with left click to show the actual image then right click/save as to save to a laptop.

Last edited:
hi jaybazzie and welcome...not quite sure what info you are after when you say you want to find out about the people...could you be a bit more specific please...

lyn
It would be interesting for the pupils if they could have information from someone who remembers living in Ashleigh place or had family who lived there. Any photographs would be useful too.

A nice photo from blackcountrymuse.com of the Grove Lane/ Soho Road junction. Viv.

Edit. The photo may be incorrectly dated as is more likely to be about 1939. See post #444 below.

View attachment 119485
This is a repeat photo especially for those that have requested 'teasers'. :)
Details about the bus and gas showrooms were in a subsequent post, however the questions are:-

To the rear of the bus is something that would no longer be needed as its original use had gone. What is it?
Also what was the name of the business carried on on the corner, at the rear of the bus.

This is a repeat photo especially for those that have requested 'teasers'. :)
Details about the bus and gas showrooms were in a subsequent post, however the questions are:-

To the rear of the bus is something that would no longer be needed as its original use had gone. What is it?
Also what was the name of the business carried on on the corner, at the rear of the bus.
Name of business behind bus could be
166 Soho road Dudley's Home Furnishers
or on the corner nearer the bus
162 Soho Road Birmingham Municipal Bank

Dudleys was still there when I worked nearby in the late 60's.

Is the other question something to do with the tall post in front of the bank? Was it a gas lamp?

No it was not gas lamp, but a traction pole to which was affixed the supports for the tram overhead wires.
However, you are right in as much as the pole was not now needed as the wires had gone and buses had now replaced the trams.
This too darn easy. Must make it harder. :D

ASparks, where did you work? The girl I later married worked in accounts at Dudley's Furnishings, and I spent probably the worst year of my life 'managing' the sports shop near The Frighted Horse pub. Most of that year I spent looking for a proper job, which I eventually did and got out of the place early 1969 IIRC. I actually quite liked the atmos in Soho Road in those days.

G

@Big Gee I had a Saturday job at the sort of market/ grocery place a few doors down from the newsagents on the corner of Soho and Nineveh Road, both were run by the same people. I worked at the back with the groceries. The front area sold mainly men's clothes.
This was from about 1966 to autumn 1968.

I remember the Frighted Horse. Had two years on day release at Handsworth Tech, and tried to have a dinner time pint in all the pubs in Soho Road. We didn’t succeed due to having to get back on time.

I remember the Frighted Horse. Had two years on day release at Handsworth Tech, and tried to have a dinner time pint in all the pubs in Soho Road. We didn’t succeed due to having to get back on time.
i had to go to the tech too p when i was a apprentice.i walked along the rd looking in the shops at lunch time. vale onslow is the only one i remember now.

Back