• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Road Handsworth

Great pic Lyn. I used to walk up Soho Road regularly when young as we used to live just further down the road in Soho Avenue which was on Soho Hill. I used to go to the Nineveh Dance Studios which were on the left hand side of this photo, and situated on the corner of Nineveh and Soho Road. This was after trams ran along Soho Road though!! I wonder what date this picture would have been taken? Also used the swimming baths in Grove Lane every week with school and then on Sunday mornings to meet friends. The No.70 Oxhill Road bus used to go down Grove Lane.

Judy

hi judy glad you like the pic..i think the trams stopped running 1953...

lyn

You might be right Lyn, but I can't say I remember trams on Soho Road at all, and I lived in Handsworth from 1942 and only ever remember using the bus. I remember the trams running down Villa Road to Lozells though.

Judy

As I understand it from one of Peter Walkers essays, the trams on Soho Road route were replaced by buses on 2nd April 1939, so if you had remembered them you would be even older than me !

Thanks for that Mike! I only ever used the buses on Soho Road which were Nos. 70, 74 and 75.

Judy

My grandmother lived in Boulton Road near the junction with Soho Road from about 1900 until 1960's when the houses were demolished.
If anyone has a photo of the houses near the junction it would be very much appreciated.

Hi mikejee! The white-coated policeman on "point duty" would confirm your 1939 date as the latest possible date. Such duties disappeared with the onset of the war. willey

Hi
Here are a few of members lost photos

Image10_Soho_Rd_2.jpg

Image9_Rowberry_s_Garage_Oxhill_Rd_Handsworth.jpg

Image2_Rookery_Road_Bomb_Damage_1942.jpg

Image1_Douglas_Rd_Handsworth_Bomb_Damage_1941.jpg

Claremount_Rd_Handsworth_1963a.jpg

Salutation2520Inn2520Alma2520St2520Aston.jpg

Image12_261a_Soho_Rd.jpg

Regards Stars

Lovely pics!! I was born and lived in Handsworth until I was 16 in1969. We used to shop daily in Villa Road, and as a treat my sister and I were taken up Soho Road on Saturday, to the "big Shops". Used to go to the Elite Picture House and the Regal for Saturday Matinee....I moved away many years ago, and memories have faded, but seeing pics of the area and hearing others reminiscing, it brings back all the wonderful memories of childgood............Aaaaah!!!

Back