• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Road Handsworth

You wouldn’t guess the original purpose of this building by the modern view. Originally very functional looking building. Remember when you went to the Employment Office to get your passport. I went to the Corporation Street Offices for mine in the 1960s. Viv.

49EAB3A9-8250-4A99-AF53-B16BD67F876B.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive
A03335CB-AA43-4A06-9A5D-4097E954E162.jpeg

Attachments

• D18BC9A6-A72E-424D-90FB-D885DC9B4F9F.jpeg
    D18BC9A6-A72E-424D-90FB-D885DC9B4F9F.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 14
Thank you for all your wonderful photographs of corner of Boulton Road/Soho Road Handsworth which brought us many happy childhood memories from 1950's - 1960's. Fond memories of the little Red Shop which was a hardware shop where you could by just one screw rather than the modern multi packs

My nana had a newsagents 178 Soho Rd Handsworth. Helen Dorrington was her name. Busy shop - first place in Handsworth to sell ice lollies raspberry split - nana worked in the shop til she was over 75
Mrs Buck was a customer bought snuff every week.
Nana had 2 diligent shop assistants, Margaret auburn curly hair and Edith her sister. Lease expired in early 60’s so they left. My grandad was goalie for Birmingham City around 1900 Jack Dorrington on wiki.
Shops around there were Bains cake shop, Tibbets fishmonger-granddad kept Holte Hotel whe he retired
Anyone have memories passed down about the shop or the area?

in 1884, 178 Soho Road, near Grove Lane was opened by GE Doughty of Hockley Bakery as a branch shop for sale of bread, flour and confectionery.

In March 1908 the Birmingham Gazzette report on the game between Birmingham City and Blackburn, 1-1 draw. A grand low drive gave Dorrington no chance.

Last edited:
A similar view as that in post #524. A lovely scene of daily activity; passengers boarding a tram, a shopkeeper chatting to a delivery man, two policemen observing things on the corner by the Council House.

Viv

View attachment 173993
Superb photograph. Spent many happy hours in Handsworth Library researching for my school projects and homework in 1950's.
We are now spoilt with instant access to questions using the internet

Thanks for confirming the shop that was knocked down next to Darlington's. Yep - Barn Lane thats it. Yes, I am still sticking to my guns atm that the little red shop ( Shortie ) :) was not next to Darlingtons as far as I remember. Lets see. Our neighbour was called Mr Heath (I think) and he owned the shop for many years. I'll check again this week when I go visit my Moms old house.

Yes the 11 stop was originally round the corner in Boulton, Alan I remember that now you mentioned it.

The Co-op was at the bottom of Babington and the building is still there today I'm pleased to say.

The other newsagents close by was Withers on the corner of Queens Head Road... great memories guys.. keep them coming.
Hi Stephen, When the Darlingtons paper shop was closed down the travel agent side of the business moved to the premises above the shop on the corner of Soho Road and Boulton Road, the entrance to the travel agent was on Boulton Road, the shop below used to sell bedding curtains and that sort of thing, but I cant remember its name, they must have moved in the mid 70's

Hi Stephen, When the Darlingtons paper shop was closed down the travel agent side of the business moved to the premises above the shop on the corner of Soho Road and Boulton Road, the entrance to the travel agent was on Boulton Road, the shop below used to sell bedding curtains and that sort of thing, but I cant remember its name, they must have moved in the mid 70's
Alan'salans - little red shop 1960s.jpeg

Back