• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Soho Road Handsworth

My nana had a newsagents 178 Soho Rd Handsworth. Helen Dorrington was her name. Busy shop - first place in Handsworth to sell ice lollies raspberry split - nana worked in the shop til she was over 75
Mrs Buck was a customer bought snuff every week.
Nana had 2 diligent shop assistants, Margaret auburn curly hair and Edith her sister. Lease expired in early 60’s so they left. My grandad was goalie for Birmingham City around 1900 Jack Dorrington on wiki.
Shops around there were Bains cake shop, Tibbets fishmonger-granddad kept Holte Hotel whe he retired
Anyone have memories passed down about the shop or the area?

This row of shops in the 1960s is still recognisable today. It’s opposite the Red Lion and near the junction with Boulton Road ( the houses just in view on Boulton Road have gone). The glimpse of the Little Red Shop looks like a hardware shop. Not sure what Alan’s was on the corner (linen, curtains, fabrics perhaps ?) but it seems popular. Doubtless some will remember the sweet shop next door. Viv.

View attachment 169450
Yes, Alan's sold linen and curtain fabric/nets. My Mum often browsed there, but found it more economical to buy at the stall at the far end of the market. This has reminded me of how she would unroll a small bale of material and then measure out the yardage by the distance between her nose and the tip of her fingers - exactly 1 yard!

Anyone know if a record shop possibly called The Record Shop, in or around Soho Road run by Kathleen and Peter Deeley ?
From Soho road, go down the hill of Rookery road, on the right hand side there was 'The Record Shop' at 112 Rookery Road, I went between 1962 - 64, and bought two 45rpm records. Shop was run by P.O. Deeley.
Below from Kelly's 1967-68.

record shop.jpg

Hi guys, I've lost the original thread for this image of Soho Road. Please could you remind me of it? Many thanks

Attachments

• Picture18.png
    Picture18.png
    727.7 KB · Views: 28
I think this image shows the view along Soho Road, looking towards the Red Lion pub on the left (note tower in the distance). If so, many of the buildings to the left were replaced around 1920s/30s. If the modern view is the same spot (corner of Alfred Road) a large Co-op building replaced those on the left in the old image. Viv.
View attachment 111380 View attachment 111381
Vivienne14 I think that possibly the new view here is incorrect (Not corner of Alfred Road), and should be Linwood Road on the left almost opposite Cross Guns pub, see new pic here

linwood rd2.jpg

Back