• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Road Handsworth

George Frdk Flinn, a commercial traveller,lived at 2 Soho St, Handsworth (1861); then
1881 at 25 Soho Rd, Handsworth as a brewer;
1891 at 182 Soho Hill End, Handsworth (1891 piece 2261, Folio 37)
One author has said he had worked for J&J Colman for 43 years and at 182 Soho Hill.
I have yet to find any reference to him as part of J&J Colman. J&J Colman had their factory in Norwich.
Any clues most gratefully received.

we do have an extensive thread for soho road which maybe of help...click on link below...also although you are welcome to post your email address on open forum in case of hackers etc we suggest that you remove it...hope the thread is of help

Foster Brothers, next to Handsworth market. Got my school blazer from there c1966. Always was too big for me, mum said I'd grow into it. Fosters had those vacume dispensers for the change that was sucked over to a cashier somewhere else in store.

Smashing pictures of Woolies earlier. I also remember the Wilkinsons store a bit further up which must also have been a fairly early one.

My great great grandad and great grandad had a gentleman's outfitters shop on Soho Road. It was number 127, it was there in 1924. It's name was Dale and Sons Gentlemans Outfitters. Maybe someone will have a photo, I have one. The shop is on the left here.No 479 Lozells Road Aston Birmingham c1900.jpg

So your great great grandad had a shop at 127 Soho Road - Dale Robert (hosier) and also had a shop at 89 & 91 Lozells Road - Dale Robert (Outfitter) shown below89-Lozells-Road-Aston-Birmingham-c1900.jpg

Last edited:
My great great grandad and great grandad had a gentleman's outfitters shop on Soho Road. It was number 127, it was there in 1924. It's name was Dale and Sons Gentlemans Outfitters. Maybe someone will have a photo, I have one. The shop is on the left here.View attachment 147605
I don't think that's my great great grandad or great grandad's shop. The photo say's 479, their shop was 123-127. The year is too early too.

I don't think that's my great great grandad or great grandad's shop. The photo say's 479, their shop was 123-127. The year is too early too.
My guess would be it's Post Card series No 479 - showing Lozells Road not the number of that road.
Photo shows 89 Lozells Road - Dale Robert (outfitter) other shop is at 127 Soho road (between Holliday Road & Waverhill Road)
In 1930 Dale also had 91 Lozells Road
89 & 91 Lozells Road.JPG

Last edited:
I would guess at St. Pauls Church other side of it was a school & a police station. I think it was almost opposite Wheeler Street.

the photo is of lozells road.....quite right rob the church is st pauls..the police station was on the same side just a tad up from the church..the school opposite the church was gower st school...

lyn

In the 1900 Kelly's the corner of Lozells Road and Berner Street is Number 86, Taylor Alfd and Hy, Grocers.

But no mention of Dale on the other side.

Last edited:
In the 1900 Kelly's the corner of Lozells Road and Berner Street is Number 86, Taylor Alfd and Hy, Grocers.

But no mention of Dale on the other side.

Pedrocut you are correct but technically you could say Turner's was half 222 Berners Street as well ;) .
Note opposite properties in 1930's Kelly's 89 & 91 Lozells Road Dale Robert
89-91-lozells-rd-222.jpg

Back