• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Road Handsworth

Stephen, the bus stop was just a few feet from Linwood Road, probably outside the butchers, from memory, not as far up as the Red Lion. You can just see the kerb to Linwood Road if you look closely in the left. I think Mike has shown there was another hardware shop, but I don't remember one, I just remember this one, and knowing it as The Little Red Shop. I am wondering as Darlingtons obviously expanded, whether this was just a bit at the front of their premises. I know I remember seeing some advertising for their travel department, I think they had A boards outside advertising holidays by rail and coach. I am hoping that Reg from Handsworth Historical Soc has got a proper, clear photograph. The shop was painted cardinal red outside if I remember correctly, hence the name.

Soho having jewellers? I think we were talking about jewellers living in Linwood Road, which I know at one time there were, they were large houses and were initially lived in by wealthy people, I am sure there were some still there (and also in Murdock and probably Antrobus Road and some others) during the 1950's and possibly early 60's. Taking about the brass name plates to my husband (your mother's memories), he said he thought that there would have probably been doctors and dentists, etc, also notaries and solicitors, so they would have more than likely had nameplates outside their houses.

I shall keep my eyes and ears open for any more pics, etc and keep in touch with Pat at Handsworth His Soc for new pics that may not have made their way into publications, I am sure people would enjoy that.

Stephen, I just wanted to add that there would not have been anymanufactuing in Linwood and surrounding roads, they would have more than likely worked in Hockely in the Jewellery Quarter (or Jewellers' Quarter as it was then known).

Shortie - Jewellers - yes living there and working in Hockley sounds logical.

Name plates in Murdock Rd etc - good to hear that thank you for the feedback - sounds like my mum was right then. Gosh what a different world that was then. The pic takes me right back, thank you. How come you went to boarding school rather than to the school down Linwood Rd - and also there was King Edwards down there too ?

Stephen, I was 13 at the time we moved to Handsworth, so I was already away at school by then anyway. It was my choice to go, but the story is so long I don't want to go into it here, let's just say I preferred being away from home.

You are right, it was a different world then, and to my mind it was a better one - or perhaps I am looking at the post war years with rose coloured specs. In those days people did not think of 'me, me, me'. They swept their front paths and kept gardens tidy just as a starter. I know there are plenty who do the same now, but I also know many people and mostly younger ones who have never ever bothered with the outside of their houses which is something I cannot quite understand. Dinosaur, that's me!!

SohoRoad.jpg

This is the picture I promised Stephen I would post of Soho Road at the junction with Boulton Road. Boulton Road is to the right and The Little Red Shop is the shop on the corner of Boulton Road. I have viewed this with a jewellers' loupe and it is clear that the articles outside, although I could not identify them individually, are hardware items such as buckets, etc. I used to live (1960-64) in Linwood Road, which is to the left, just past the bus stop. This photo was taken during the 1950's.

Can I have an inspired guess that this photograph is exactly the same spot in 1970? I'm evaluating the slope of the road and the position of the bus stop (left)
10151773a.jpg

I am not sure Richie. If I could see Boulton Road to the right I might agree, but even the buildings look a little different. It may have been taken further up - I am sure someone can confirm exactly where it is.

Thanks Richie, nice pic, I think its a bit further down the Rd just past your Linwood Rd shortie because thats the bus stop I can just make out.

Shortie - Interesting point you make about things being better then. I know what you mean but I also agree we look back with fondness too. Either way, no one can take away good memories. Also we were brought up shortly after the war, perhaps we valued things more because there was less of everything and not much money about - just my thoughts tho :) - what you think ?

Stephen, I do agree with you. I am often shocked at the way people don't value things these days, it is easy come, easy go. A friend of mine, whom I have known since 1969, and who was brought up with little money, confided to me that she never takes anything on holiday that has been previously worn. Each year she has new clothes for her holiday and they are never worn again! I was shocked (and I told her I thought she was quite barmy). I was ironing shorts this week that I bought from M&S five years ago, and until they are really showing their age, I shall continue. I find this throw-away attitude apalling.

I feel very lucky that I was brought up when I was - being hard-up never did anyone any harm and may have indeed done a lot of good. Both of my daughters are of similar mind, I am glad to say.

Glad its not just me then shortie :)

Does anyone remember the pub just up from woolworths next to Barretts the butchers ? I seem to remember there was an explosion there some time close to the time of the Birmingham pub bombings but I can't remember if it was associtated or not to them.

Does anyone remember when Dickie Henderson and Michael Miles came to Littlewoods. I think it was an opening ceremony of something.

No, Stephen, you are not alone, I can promise you that! The pub you are speaking about, I think it was known as an Irish pub and may have been called The Pump. That name sprang to mind immediately, but I may be well wrong.

Well Stephen, that shows I am good for something, although quite what I don't know! It was a place that I found quite scary walking past from the Ninevah on my own late at night (well about 10pm).

Was that because you were passing the pub close to closing time ? Can't image a lady walking down many roads after 10, esp these days shortie. But I would imagine Soho might have been fairly empty/quiet at 10 - was it ?

Hi Stephen, sorry to be late replying - I think it was because a lot of people, at least during the summer, were drinking outside. They were also largely slightly uncouth too, from memory. You have to remember in 1962 I was only 15, so loads of things were scary. My parents initially used to walk down Soho Road to meet me, but I was deeply offended (as you do at 15) and so they did not do it for very long. It was not too busy - shops were all lit up - dress shops, shoe shops, it was a good sight to behold to be honest, but there was the odd person hanging around here and there.

In the late 50s I used to walk into town at night from Putney Road, via Hamstead Road, Hockley Hill, Great Hampton Street et al to go to the Jazz nights.
Not a care in the world and never any trouble....neither was I!

Unsure if we have listed any of these pics previously ... but I came across this excellent website and thought I'd share them using the link below.
Credit to John Houghton & Mike Ingram. (is this... "our" Mike Ingram ?)

https://www.handsworthhistory.co.uk/Soho-Road.html

hi stephen yes it is indeed our john houghton and mike ingram...they also run the astonbrook through aston manor site...both worth a look at...

lyn

Back