• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

soho hill hockley

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all. heres a couple of pics myself and keith acton took on our trip out. this first building is dated 1826.

this is next to the 1st building with nearly a 100 difference in age. dated 1922. keith like this one in perticular for its art deco. hope you like them wales.

this is next to the 1st building with nearly a 100 difference in age. dated 1922. keith like this one in perticular for its art deco. hope you like them wales.

Thanks for posting these Lyn - these building are a stones throw from Soho House.

This was by far my favourite building. It embodies everything that I love about art deco architecture - the cubism art work showing geometric zig-zag lines is excellent.

The date of the building also coincides with the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamun by Howard Carter & Lord Carnaervon in 1922, and this is evident with visual references to Egypt by means of the Sphinx type lions and the snakes. The art deco finish to this building is absolutely beautiful.

Treat yourselves and pay a visit - take a look at this building before it crumbles - it is a crying shame....

God I wish I could win the lottery - if I did, this building would be mine...

keith

Thanks for posting those photos Lyn - if they are on Soho Hill I must have passed by them thousands of times when I was young and living nearby in Soho Avenue, but I was never interested in such things then, so I never noticed them.

Which side of the road are they in relation to the Beehive Pub photo you posted(a sad picture!)?

Judy

keith. glad they came out ok. never say never about winning the lottery. jules you are right as youngsters we dont notice things like we do as we get older. always a pleasure to post pics if they bring back memories for folk. lyn

Thanks for posting those photos Lyn - if they are on Soho Hill I must have passed by them thousands of times when I was young and living nearby in Soho Avenue, but I was never interested in such things then, so I never noticed them.

Which side of the road are they in relation to the Beehive Pub photo you posted(a sad picture!)?

Judy

Judy, too right I walked past these properties thousands of times as a child and yound man but never took time to appreciate their beauty, or even notice them? These buildings are directly opposite Soho Avenue next to the Beehive.

My friend in the late 60's did his toolmaking apprenticeship at the factory just up from the Beehive, the company was called Dembro if I recall?

keith

Keith, when I lived in Handsworth (up until 1956) the factory next to the Beehive was Dennisons Watchcase Company.

Thank you for telling me the location of those buildings. I think I may recognise one of them. I think there was a building where the church held its social meetings, I remember going to rehearse a play for Sunday School in a very similar building. There was also a Telephone Exchange near to it.

Judy

Thanks for posting these pictures of what was once beautiful buildings. My first job was in Naden Road and I occasionally walked up Soho Hill. As has been said though when you are young you never notice these sorts of things. I can only hope that they are preserved for future generations to enjoy.

Back