• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Societies: Birmingham Political Union Offices Great Charles Street

JayC

Has anyone come across the location of the BPU offices on Great Charles Street - I need to find the location to mark on a map and nothing is coming up.

Birmingham Political Union founded at the end of 1829 and led by Thomas Attwood. It focussed on extending suffrage rights to the working classes. It had a large membership of middle and working classes and is best known for a meeting on 16 May 1832, said to be attended by 200,000 people, which was immortalised in a well known painting by Benjamin Haydon.

From the Making of Victorian Birmingham showing the picture mention by JayC above.

D6703E20-B40A-4154-946B-B6FC46EDA747.jpeg

7F9CE023-5066-4A1A-A12E-695CFD466F62.jpeg

Attachments

• 8C80AF88-4ADC-44B1-AA96-B3C325996326.jpeg
    8C80AF88-4ADC-44B1-AA96-B3C325996326.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 8
I've just been searching for what you have on the Birmingham Political Union, and found this thread. In belated answer to Tinpot's question:

I have that same picture in my copy of the The Collected Essays of Asa Briggs, captioned "The Gathering of the Unions" on New Hall Hill, 7 May 1832. This turns out to be an engraving by Henry Harris ("Drawn on Stone from Sketches taken during the Three succeſsive Meetings in May 1832"), of which various prints exist. The British Museum have a copy, as do the Working Class Movement Library in Salford and others, though I can't tell if it's currently on display anywhere.

The Benjamin Haydon oil painting is perhaps this one:
Benjamin_Haydon_-_Meeting_of_the_Birmingham_Political_Union.jpg

(from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Political_Union)

The source below relates that Haydon was unable to raise the subscription for the full work, so only the above sketch was completed. It shows the Rev. Hugh Hutton leading the opening prayers on the meeting of 16 May 1832, celebrating the recall of Earl Grey as Prime Minister, with Thomas Attwood at the reverend's side preparing to address the crowd.
https://www.barricades.ac.uk/items/show/71

It sounds like Birmingham Museum has the original.

I've just been searching for what you have on the Birmingham Political Union, and found this thread. In belated answer to Tinpot's question:

I have that same picture in my copy of the The Collected Essays of Asa Briggs, captioned "The Gathering of the Unions" on New Hall Hill, 7 May 1832. This turns out to be an engraving by Henry Harris ("Drawn on Stone from Sketches taken during the Three succeſsive Meetings in May 1832"), of which various prints exist. The British Museum have a copy, as do the Working Class Movement Library in Salford and others, though I can't tell if it's currently on display anywhere.

The Benjamin Haydon oil painting is perhaps this one:
Benjamin_Haydon_-_Meeting_of_the_Birmingham_Political_Union.jpg

(from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Political_Union)

The source below relates that Haydon was unable to raise the subscription for the full work, so only the above sketch was completed. It shows the Rev. Hugh Hutton leading the opening prayers on the meeting of 16 May 1832, celebrating the recall of Earl Grey as Prime Minister, with Thomas Attwood at the reverend's side preparing to address the crowd.
https://www.barricades.ac.uk/items/show/71

It sounds like Birmingham Museum has the original.
Thanks for your response ed.s. Massive turnout for these meetings. Hard to imagine these days even though the population is much higher.Tinpot

Back