• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

So..we Were Only Saying..

pmc1947. Passed it every day on my way to school and had forgotten all about it, which is why I enjoy sharing your memories.
Phil we cannot do without you.

Back to the beer.

Do you remember the large cans in the 70s,I think they were called Bumper cans,held 4 or maybe 6 pints.

Yo Alberta,,Party Gal :rolleyes:

Brilliant Bumper Jumbo cans up to 8 pints i think,
Well known Ceiling sprayers if the guys didn,t get their mouths over
the punctured tops in time :coolcheesy: Yeh,,real Party packs,
I will drink to that,,Cheers JohnY

I used to go to a party some Saturday nights in the 60’s, these parties were in a flat above the bank in Revsby Walk Nechells. I don’t think I ever knew the young girl that held these parties all I know is the price of admission was a 7 pint Bumper Party Can.

The kitchen was awash with the residue of many can openings. The usual method of opening was after the can had been danced around the living room to the strains of the Beatles, Stones or Dave Clarke 5 for about 10 minutes on the way in, was to attack it with a hammer and screwdriver.

After piercing the top of the can in two places after waiting for the eruption to finish the usual practice was to then hold it over a glass while the beer dribbled out. Rather like trying to get the milky liquid out of a cocoanut. Not being much of a beer drinker I used to have spirited away in my pocket (pardon the pun) a half bottle of Johnny walker.

The one Saturday night I had just settled on the armrest of an armchair and started chatting to this young lady who I thought must be Dusty Springfield’s younger sister as I was just telling her how much she looked like her older sister. When this bloke crossed the room and kicked the record player in the air. Strange I thought, well he probably doesn’t like Gerry & the Pacemakers.

Next thing I heard he was screaming “what the hell is going on here, you can all get out” Apparently it was the father of the girl holding the party, and she had told him that she was having three or four friends around. I don’t know how many people there were packed into that two bedroom flat, but all I know is that they seemed to creep out of every nook and cranny of it as the flat emptied.

I think Dusty’s sister and I finished the night at the Ashted Hamlet, and I never got my 7 pint bumper can back.

pmc1947

Loved that sti..ory pmc1947, went to a few get togethers like that myself around Nechells.
As I didn't drink beer, I enjoyed myself by watching everyone else get drunk then telling them, when they asked me what they had said, or been up to.
I even managed to help a couple of my girl friends to escape over amorous lads and save their 'Bacon' so to speak. It was always handy to have one friend stay sober back then, not for the reasons they advise it today for a designated driver, but to make sure your friends didn't end up going up 'The Isle' , or even ' The registry' before their time. :D

Pom :angel:

Pomgolian

I have many such tales, but I fear some of them would be a little too racy for the youngsters of this site.

pmc1947

No problem there then, just post them in the BRAwomen section..not a youngster in sight.. :)

Regarding PMC's wonderful account of his party in Revesby Walk..I worked there as a paper boy at the Newsagents next to the Bank, the Bank was a branch of the TSB and long since closed down now..
It was where we did most of our shopping in those days..way before the advent of Hypermarkets and suchlike
I remember Higgins the hardware shop (they had moved up from near to Bannister and Thatchers on the corner of Gt Lister St/Cromwell St.)
likewise the ex Newsagents called Bennetts, there was a Laundrette (God the hours I spent in there washing my rags) we had the Cobblers next door to the EBCC (East Birmingham Constitutional Club), we had a Post Office, Goodes the 'Super' market, the Chippie..Tyrone the hairdressers..(you had to be really careful in the mens part of the shop, as a teenage boy/man you put more than your mortal soul in danger, I'm sure you can work it out) ;) we had a Butchers, a Greengrocer, an Off Licence and a Cake shop, everything you needed in life to get by on.
It was outside the bank we sheltered from the rain, waiting for a 55 or 56 bus to take us into town...(which seemed to come along every 28 years)
It was right by the Bank I saw my friend Chrissie Ward leave me and Ray for the last time as he walked off to his Murder..he was only 13.
He was stabbed in Bolton Road, Small Heath.
Like you we bought the 4 pint cans (or if we struck lucky, the 'Party Sevens'
One hammer, one screwdriver, two hits..followed by a beer shampoo..
https://www.headington.org.uk/adverts/drinks_alcoholic.htm
In Winter the gentle slope of Revesby walk became a fabulous frozen slide, in Summer we played Football against the side wall of the Supermarket.
I kissed one of my girfriends in Revesby Walk..her name was Madeleine..(the first three letters of her name summed her up nicely)
I also did some of my first shoplifting up there, hooking imitation copies of 'Action Man' through the letter box with a wire coat hanger (I think we got about 6)
Revesby Walk was a huge part of my life...
I used to wait there for the Sports Argus, I had a fight in the Chippy there, I kissed Co-op Carol there (then walked her home and kissed her some more) come to think of it, I blame Revesby Walk for making me into the slut I am today..
(I plead mitigating circumstances your honour, I lived near Revesby Walk)
Ahhh happy days.
Les (aka Kissed out Kandor)

Hi Kandy M8, my Sister and Brother in law took me for a sightseing drive one evening last summer around the area of Revesby Walk (Hadn't the heart to say both you and Crommie had done the same), because our Mom once lived in Willow House the tower block there and I'd visited her there in 1986. Anyway my Sister bought me some Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas from that Chppie there and they were really nice. :)

Pom :angel:

I don’t really remember much about Revsby walk other than the flat above the bank, the trouble was I used to have such a hard time getting past the Hamlet. I sometimes managed to get into the Conservative Club as it was then. The trouble is they were very choosey who they admitted when it first opened, and there was no room for young tearaways like me.

When I remember the paper shop was it the first shop on the left from the Duddeston Manor Rd end (Willis St End in our reality). I think I can remember the post office and chip shop on the same side. I do admit I could be wrong about the paper shop, but I am talking about when Revsby Walk was first built which was I think about 1963.

All I remember on the opposite side was the Dry Cleaners shop, and the bank of course. Was there an ironmongers? The reason I remember the dry cleaners was because there was a young girl that worked there that I fancied like mad. The trouble was I was only 16 at the time and out of work, and she was about 22 and had a job. I used to spend hours in the shop talking to her, she even used to make me coffee and I would walk her to the bus stop at night when she closed the shop. I never got round to asking her for a date. I think the age difference frightened me off, scared of being refused I guess. Ah the innocence of youth.

By the way the last time I passed the Hamlet it was covered in scaffolding. Does anybody know if they were demolishing it or renovating it?

pmc1947

:confused2: Talking about oudoors does anyone remember the two in Holte road. One was Miss Noons who owned a big dulux dog and the other Mrs Nevills the other end of the road. The older ladies in those days used to send out for their jug of mackies or milk stout with a tea cloth over the top. I used to hate the smell in these shops especially Miss Noons. She had pulls that spilled over their trays and the smell in those days was awful. Guess what. My husband was on the brewing at Ansells Aston Cross. I soon had to get used to the smell. I'm sure Patty and Sandra remembers them. Do you remember Sandra carrying a bottle of pop and falling over and breaking it. I helped you home. Long time ago though. TTFN. Jean:confused2:

Yes I remember Mrs Neville's she used to sell you 1 cigarette and Noons I used to take a bottle to get my mom some sherry out of the wood. I must have only been 14 or 15 at the time they never bother with your age then. Cant recall Sandra Falling Jean I'll have to ask her

:confused: Do you remember Mrs Daniels who lived oposite to my aunt and uncle. She always dressed in black. I used to fetch her stout and she would treat me. I remember going to the little shop for Mrs Bryons cigies and saying can I have 5 fags Mags. He told me not to be so cheeky. TTFN. Jean. :redface:

Jean your memory is much better than mine you seem to recall everything, I know Maggs shop because we lived opposite I think his name was Cyril

:) Pat. Keith Skrivens just e.mailed me and is looking into the site. He sends his regards and is going to sort some old school photo's out to put on hear. We can see his van from where we are and he's asked us up next time were there at the same time. I'm not overdoing it with my smilies am I Pat?. Sarc sarc. :)

Back