• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gran was a snuff taker(?). When we spent time with her we were often sent to the local shops to buy a packet of singleton's snuff. When she could afford it she would have Hedges L 260 .
As this was a tobacco product, was the Hedges brand anything to do with Benson & Hedges the cigarette maker?

From: https://www.astonsofmanchester.co.uk/tobacco/snuff-tobacco/hedges-snuff-tobacco
"Hedges Snuff L260 'The Snuff' is based on a recipe dating back to the 1800's and was invented by William Ross Hedges, a chemist from Birmingham, who prescribed Hedges Menthol Snuff as a cure for colds and other ailments. "
From Wikipedia:
Benson & Hedges was founded in London in 1873 by Richard Benson and William Hedges as Benson and Hedges Ltd. Alfred Paget Hedges succeeded his father in the business in 1885, the same year which Richard Benson left the business. The 1900s saw branches of Benson & Hedges Ltd. opening in the United States and Canada. In 1928, the American branch became independent, and was bought by Philip Morris in 1958. Benson & Hedges Ltd in the UK was acquired by the Gallaher Group in 1955.[2]
Apparently the snuff brand is still sold, though no mention is made of Benson & Hedges. So The snuff was invented by William Ross Hedges, andBenson & Hedges was stated partly by a William Hedges, but it is not certain that the two Williams are the same person .
Certainly , from the advert, in 1979 Hedges seem to have been a different company.

birm post.13.7.1979.jpg

pete it was a joint moderation decision to delete one of your posts as inappropriate and you were sent an alert message as to the reason why

lyn

Last edited:
ok i am now locking this thread indefinately ..i have now sent 2 members who have complained to me via a private message the reason why a video showing a man sniffing/snorting snuff was deleted...harmless enough some may think but we have a duty to look at the bigger picture

school children use this history forum and we cant be seen to condone or encourage sniffing of any sort especially in graphic detail....if any members have any further complaints about about the moderators decision please send a private message to POSTIE who is the owner of the forum

thank you

lyn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back