• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
On the front page of the enumerators Census book they had to write the names of the Roads they were enumerating. I often have a look as it is sometimes a help in finding a street or road. This is district 14 of St Georges Parish, this man had no idea how interesting I found his description.
click on it to enlarge.

View attachment 19808

Di when I finally managed to make it all out LOL. I tend to agree with you, very interesting to see how folk at the time viewed their City and it's streets.

A complicated but accurate description, Di - it must be the road I've highlighted in red on this map:

Thanks for the map Lloyd, I'm sure you are right. I am fascinated by that area around Snow Hill, there were wharves and mills all long gone.

Thanks Slatertim, another place to find. :) When I lived in Birmingham I often walked along the canal in Hamstead, I knew the canal running through Witton crossing under Thame Road and through Moore Lane, to my shame I didn't know just how many miles of the waterways there were.

Back