• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Snow Hill Station

This was a rare cop. Photo by me in 1956. 6026 King John . This loco spent all its working life on "Paddington to Penzance" trains and was never seen in Snowhill, it was shedded at Plymouth Laira 83D. It was the last King I needed in my ref ,the train spotters dream. What memory's I have. Cant attach "bmp" photo. Help!!

Thanks ChrisM. Posted a few more.

Attachments

• King John.jpg
    King John.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 4092.jpg
    4092.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 25
  • 5192 .jpg
    5192 .jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 6667 .jpg
    6667 .jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Are there any pictures, of Snow Hill , infamous tunnels, where as a boy I would stand with my dad and watch the tunnel mouth and see trains rushing through in side all fire alight and steam frighten, and excited me at the same time, never forget those days early 50's. Paul

Are there any pictures, of Snow Hill , infamous tunnels, where as a boy I would stand with my dad and watch the tunnel mouth and see trains rushing through in side all fire alight and steam frighten, and excited me at the same time, never forget those days early 50's. Paul
Paul, that's a pretty darn good description of what went on there. I too remember those feelings as I watched!

King John was the only King Class I needed to "Cop" to complete the class, never did see it to cross it off in my Ian Allen book.
You were fortunate to see 29 of the 30 Kings at Snow Hill. Many were shedded at Laira, King John 6026 being one of them.

Thank you, Thank you, that.s exactly what I remember in my minds eye, Thanks for the picture Mike, and its nice to know that what I am remembering at nearly 73, is right Richard. Regards Paul

Timbo felt exactly the same when in 1956copped my last Jubilee at St Rollox shed in Glasgow on a rainy Sat afternoon .45717

The tunnels were at both ends of Snow Hill. Yet, only the one under Colmore Row towards Moor Street could be seen from the platform. The other tunnel at the St Pauls end is better seen these days by the Metro. This other tunnel was widened as part of the station enlargements.

The Great Western Arcadedoes cover the track and when the railway was first built this was an open space.

I wondered if people would find these shots of the old Snow Hill Station of any interest. I think its nice to see how it was when it was still intact. A lot of the photos I have seen are during or after the demolition work.View attachment 113556 View attachment 113557 View attachment 113558 View attachment 113559 View attachment 113560 View attachment 113561 View attachment 113562
its loverly to see snow hill has it was......not as it is now.. i think lifeless

The area near St Chad's Tram Stop is clear for a new entrance to Birmingham Snow Hill Station to be built under the viaduct. Midland Metro stuff all gone off the land!

The future Old Snow Hill entrance!

Lionel Street

in 1964. them arches were used as a car park for national carriers staff. the lord mayors car was parked and cleaned under there. i was 15 and i kept a morris e ex gpo van down there too.that some one gave me.

Thanks for the pictures Brum Brum, #704, I don't know if anyone else felt about Snow Hill as I did, but I always found it a mysterious place as a lad in the 50's, long stairs to the platforms, dark , smokey, but it will always have a place in my heart, I left as a lad of 15 to join the army from here. Paul

I also remember the two subways connecting the platforms. I didn't really like going through the far one which I think had a rush hour entrance on Great Charles Street. That always seemed spooky to me.

I also meant to say that I to remember those subways, and at 4 am even if you were wearing an army uniform or not, they were very spooky indeed, dose anyone remember the hot chestnut man and sometimes he sold hot spuds, at the Colmore Row entrance.Paul

I also meant to say that I to remember those subways, and at 4 am even if you were wearing an army uniform or not, they were very spooky indeed, dose anyone remember the hot chestnut man and sometimes he sold hot spuds, at the Colmore Row entrance.Paul
Yes! Seemed like he was always there......

You were fortunate to see 29 of the 30 Kings at Snow Hill. Many were shedded at Laira, King John 6026 being one of them.
Did not see all at Snow Hill, traveled the length and breadth of england and wales with my good friend Ken Ward (who worked for BR) had many trips down to Cornwall and back bunking quiet a few sheds too, same to on the LMS routes, only needed one Royal Scot to complete the class, never did cop it though, 46102 Black Watch, I think it was a Glasgow based loco.

Did not see all at Snow Hill, traveled the length and breadth of england and wales with my good friend Ken Ward (who worked for BR) had many trips down to Cornwall and back bunking quiet a few sheds too, same to on the LMS routes, only needed one Royal Scot to complete the class, never did cop it though, 46102 Black Watch, I think it was a Glasgow based loco.

I copped Black Watch several times in the early 60s. I think it came through Camp Hill station and over the Montpellier St bridge near where I lived and train-spotted daily, but I'm not sure. I do remember the engine being something of a "regular" to me.

great shots, Ellbrown, looks very futuristic, not living in Brum since the 60's, I am always totally amazed at the transformation, I may not always agree with it, but you cannot be moved at the innovation, and spectacular architecture, and of course a new generation growing up in my old city will consider this brilliant, but I do hanker for the old city in my mind. Paul

st chads is small ell compered to the size of the buidings that are now going up..i know i keep saying it but the city centre for me is now getting very claustrophobic (something i have never suffered from)...not a nice place to walk around anymore but that is just how i see it

lyn

I totally agree, Lyn. I haven't been to Brum for over 6 years now and the changes are horrific. I don't like today's Manchester for the same reason. It no longer looks friendly is probably the best way I can put it.

Maurice :cool:

Have you seen the bearded homeless man on the footbridge with his dog? Always there.

Colmore Business District always busy on weekday lunchtimes.

Even past One and Two Snowhill. Lots of people down there.

Back