• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill Station

Attachments

• 1653630002447.png
    1653630002447.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 4
Yes, the 144 bus did go to Worcester, it still does but is no longer a Midland Red route.
Unfortunately no longer apparently According to the news casts I get-First have now decided to truncate the route around Bromsgrove. I understand that someone else has decided to reinstate the route from Bromsgrove to Birmingham, but I have no detail. As a family we visited Worcester and the Malverns3 about six times a year usually bank holiday, although 1942 thro 1946 we had week long holidays at both locations and Upton on Severn. Travelled 144 on BHA reg FEDDs, EhA,FHA FEDDs D1s through to D9s and returned on odd occasions on single decks CHA,GHA all red and once on a HHA S1. Dependent on the length of the bus queue, sometimes it was train from either New Street or Snow Hill and once we were lucky enough to be ushered on to the Cardiff bound AEC engined two coach GWR Cardiff bound diesel unit. Happy days.
Bob

Last edited:
Unfortunately no longer apparently According to the news casts I get-First have now decided to truncate the route around Bromsgrove. I understand that someone else has decided to reinstate the route from Bromsgrove to Birmingham, but I have no detail. As a family we visited Worcester and the Malverns3 about six times a year usually bank holiday, although 1942 thro 1946 we had week long holidays at both locations and Upton on Severn. Travelled 144 on BHA reg FEDDs, EhA,FHA FEDDs D1s through to D9s and returned on odd occasions on single decks CHA,GHA all red and once on a HHA S1. Dependent on the length of the bus queue, sometimes it was train from either New Street or Snow Hill and once we were lucky enough to be ushered on to the Cardiff bound AEC engined two coach GWR Cardiff bound ditself unit. Happy days.
Bob
You just brought back some wonderful Midland red memories there Bob.......super times we are lucky to remember....Happy Days indeed

Apparently 144 terminates at Catshill and NX are providing the link to Birmingham. Mods sorry not Snow Hill but it tidies up the post.
Bob

Planes are very polluting, right up there near the ozone layer. I wonder how many people there are, up there at any one time. What's wrong with having a good time at Torquay...or Penzance...or Bournmoth. Gosh...Blackpool. You have great stuff right in your own back yard.

BIF arrivals at Snow Hill had to be bussed to the Fair. Arrivals at New Street could get a train to Castle Bromwich for the BIF.
Yes and from New Street station they had a very new never been seen before diesel multiple unit shipped in from the Eastern Region railway to be transported there....I'd had a day off school and it was official...ha ha....and I had a Kodak Brownie camera that I snapped a photo of the units sadly do you think I can find it after all these years....but one of the railway photographers did and I think Michael Mensing was the man

It was not just the British Industries Fair that was a problem for GWR passengers. Great Western Railway Air Services were not happy about having to hand their passengers over to LMS for the journey between Castle Bromwich aerodrome and the city centre.

Yes and from New Street station they had a very new never been seen before diesel multiple unit shipped in from the Eastern Region railway to be transported there....I'd had a day off school and it was official...ha ha....and I had a Kodak Brownie camera that I snapped a photo of the units sadly do you think I can find it after all these years....but one of the railway photographers did and I think Michael Mensing was the man
Michael's picture captioned "Derby Lightweight vehicles at Birmingham New Street on the 2nd May 1955. These are sets destined for Lincolnshire, borrowed before delivery by the LMR to work British Industries Fair shuttles to Castle Bromwich."

Derby Lightweight vehicles at Birmingham New Street on the 2nd May 1955. These are sets destin...jpg

This accident is not recorded in the Railway Archive.

An accident is recorded on 3rd February 1878 on the Snow Hill Incline in London between a Metropolitan Railway train and a Midland Railway train with a rear collision and derailment with 2 injuries and no fatalities. The Snow Hill Tunnel in London has in recent years been brought back into use as part of ThamesLink south of Farringdon Station.

Back