• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Snow Hill Station

Snow hill, was totally synonymous, with my whole life , growing up in Birmingham, as child with my dear dad, taking me regularly to visit the trains, and visiting other parts of the Midlands. To train watching, as a boy and youth, left Birmingham to go into the army from there, and catching the light blue bus to my Nans in handsworth from just outside, all my young life, the hot chestnut man at the entrance in winter, hot potatoes to. Snow Hill was, and is Birmingham to me, in my memories, and like alot of my cherished places in that memory nearly all gone .

Snow hill, was totally synonymous, with my whole life , growing up in Birmingham, as child with my dear dad, taking me regularly to visit the trains, and visiting other parts of the Midlands. To train watching, as a boy and youth, left Birmingham to go into the army from there, and catching the light blue bus to my Nans in handsworth from just outside, all my young life, the hot chestnut man at the entrance in winter, hot potatoes to. Snow Hill was, and is Birmingham to me, in my memories, and like alot of my cherished places in that memory nearly all gone .
Great story Paul, one that I believe is echoed by many of us! Reading your words, I realized how inexpensive a hobby it was for us. For me it was the 29 bus and everything else you suggest. My other thrill was saving to get the new Ian Allen spotters book, sometimes for Christmas.
Thank you for the memories, I would love my children or grandchildren to feel the rush of a King or County hammering through Snow Hill!

So very true Richard, being a poor boy , but with a paper round, and a very kind shop keeper who would help and sometimes gift, An old Ian Allen, for a twopence bus ride, on the number 11 , and penny platform ticket, would sit with all the travellers, going to places I could only dream of, and stand next to the smoking monsters , which shone with brass, and green or black paint, was real heaven!!

Back