• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill Station

Some views from Snow Hill Car Park. First time back up there since about December 2017.

Footbridge to Colmore Row. The green canopy at the end is the only thing left from the 1987 station. If you walk through the Snow Hill Square now, you wont see it. Also Snow Hill Tram Stop is still to the left.

Only change from this end is the lampposts painted West Midlands Railway orange.

St Chad's Tram Stop - didn't want to wait around to see a tram.

St Paul's Tram Stop and the end of the severed line from the ex Snow Hill Tram Stop.

The viaduct without a bridge over Great Charles Street Queensway.

Back in the 1950s I saw a sight which people still tell me was an impossibility, The Up Cambrian Coast Express doubled headed with two Kings. But if you had to re-position a loco from Wolverhampton to Old Oak Common, what would you do with it? You certainly wouldn't send it light engine all the way.

Have been to Snow Hill 4 times in the past 5 days, twice to Birmingham and twice to London. Never thought as a kid I would be using that station so much.

Back in the 1950s I saw a sight which people still tell me was an impossibility, The Up Cambrian Coast Express doubled headed with two Kings. But if you had to re-position a loco from Wolverhampton to Old Oak Common, what would you do with it? You certainly wouldn't send it light engine all the way.

Have been to Snow Hill 4 times in the past 5 days, twice to Birmingham and twice to London. Never thought as a kid I would be using that station so much.
Saw plenty of double headers at Snow Hill, but not Kings! That's a LOT of power...……..

I was thinking while i was walking the dog this morning.of the days me and my dad, went fishing every sat morning to wooten wawen. we would wait for the train to arrive.then get aboard. the doors would bang, and the Guard would blow his whistle.
the driver open`d the reg,the wheels slipped.on the tracks,the chimney blew out steam and smoke.and off we went. the lights come on in the carrage,and we enter`d the tunnel.... happy times...

Last edited:
This was a rare cop. Photo by me in 1956. 6026 King John . This loco spent all its working life on "Paddington to Penzance" trains and was never seen in Snowhill, it was shedded at Plymouth Laira 83D. It was the last King I needed in my ref ,the train spotters dream. What memory's I have. Cant attach "bmp" photo. Help!!

Thanks ChrisM. Posted a few more.

Attachments

• King John.jpg
    King John.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 4092.jpg
    4092.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 25
  • 5192 .jpg
    5192 .jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 6667 .jpg
    6667 .jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Are there any pictures, of Snow Hill , infamous tunnels, where as a boy I would stand with my dad and watch the tunnel mouth and see trains rushing through in side all fire alight and steam frighten, and excited me at the same time, never forget those days early 50's. Paul

Are there any pictures, of Snow Hill , infamous tunnels, where as a boy I would stand with my dad and watch the tunnel mouth and see trains rushing through in side all fire alight and steam frighten, and excited me at the same time, never forget those days early 50's. Paul
Paul, that's a pretty darn good description of what went on there. I too remember those feelings as I watched!

King John was the only King Class I needed to "Cop" to complete the class, never did see it to cross it off in my Ian Allen book.
You were fortunate to see 29 of the 30 Kings at Snow Hill. Many were shedded at Laira, King John 6026 being one of them.

Thank you, Thank you, that.s exactly what I remember in my minds eye, Thanks for the picture Mike, and its nice to know that what I am remembering at nearly 73, is right Richard. Regards Paul

Timbo felt exactly the same when in 1956copped my last Jubilee at St Rollox shed in Glasgow on a rainy Sat afternoon .45717

Back