• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill Station in the 4os.

yogimon

master brummie
My mother-in-law used to be a porter at Snow Hill station, she worked there from approx 1940-1945 or maybe longer.I am looking for some old photos from around that time. My mother-in-law often tells the story about when she carried Clarke Gable's suitcases for him, although she did'nt know who he was at the time, he signed a 10 shilling note and gave it to her for a tip. I asked what she did with the note and she told me that she spent it of course. I often wander if that note is still around today.I would love to see some old pics and although it maybe a very long shot there might be one of the porters. Please help me if you can....many thanks Eileen

Eileen,

There a very many photos of Snow Hill Station on the forum, try typing Snow Hill Station into the search box and going through the posts that it brings up.

In the war years there would have been women in all kinds of jobs that they wouldn't have kept when the soldiers came home after.
If the 10 bob note was spent without the story attached there's no reason to suppose that anyone would have kept it and the chances of it surviving the usual recall and destruction cycle are pretty low.

Ten bob was an awful lot then I would have thought. I remember them. Brown. I won one for singing on the stage at Rhyll, I thought it was a lot in in the 60's.

Back