• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Snook family

Fascinating information there Chris, and I particularly like the the dog and parrot anecdote! A few years ago we happened upon an article from The Birmingham Daily Mail dated 2/7/1914, which describes a fire at George Snook’s thimble factory: image.jpg

Thank you for that, Cath. Astonishing. It would be interesting to know whether that was the end of the business and if not, whether it was possible to refurbish the old premises. The answer to that possibly lies in the later history of the Snook sons and daughter. Or perhaps subsequent trade directories.

The report gives us a clue as to the size of the business – about 50 employees. So, not insubstantial.

This would have been such a catastrophe it's surprising indeed that Elsie never mentioned it either to me nor, apparently, to my brother. Not one of the happier days of life at "Salisbury".

Chris

The firm is still listed in the 1921 Kellys in Floodgate St, though has gone by 1932. From the directories, which do not give a number but put it between the spring Gardens pub and no 25-27 (in blue on the map), and that there are houses attached to it mean it must be the building in red.

map c1889 showing premises of George Snooks.jpg

George Snook first appears in floodgate St, (or anywhere in Birmingham between the 1884 and 1888 Kellys (which would probably mean between 1883 and 1887)

Thanks very much, Mike. This suggests that the firm got back on to its feet after the disastrous fire and continued to trade at least up to or around George Snook's death in 1923. And then disappeared at some stage in the 1920s.

How interesting it would be to know the range of products. Surely you could never sustain a workforce of 50 people solely on the demand for thimbles!

Chris

Have done a little more digging, and it would appear that the building next to the viaduct on Floodgate Street (as highlighted by Mike), was acquired by Ashton Engineering Co in March 1924, and they are still there today! The building number is 20 Floodgate Street. This would suggest that the thimble business had ceased or was sold around the time of George's death in 1923.
George Snook traded in hairpins as well as thimbles, and perhaps other metal items. My great uncle, George William Snook, grandson of George, said that George Snr had invented an umbrella clip for a belt (no further details on this!) so perhaps they produced other goods too.

One branch of my family are Snook who originally came from Salisbury/Wiltshire but moved to Bham during the 1830's or 40's. Samuel Snook married Caroline Chinn in Salisbury on 19 Feb 1840 and had several children [George b1840, Alfred b1842, Eliza b1845, Charlotte b1847, Samuel b1848, and James] My direct ancestor is Matthew Martin Snook [sometimes called Mark] b13 March 1844 in Wiltshire. Would appreciate any information :)
I believe we are from the same family. My Gt Grandfather Albert T Snook, making your Samuel Snook my GtGtGt grandfather.

Hello, there was an Alfred Thomas Snook (1871-1943) who was son of Samuel Stephen Snook (1848-1892) & Mary Ann Homery, grandson of our common ancestors Samuel Snook (1811 - 1872) & Caroline Chinn. He married Mary Ann Elkington in 1896. Would this Alfred (not Albert) be your ancestor?

You’re absolutely right, I’ve no dea why I wrote Albert instead of Alfred?
I am the grandson of his daughter Lucy 1903-1929. she died when my father was two years old.

Remember my Mom mentioning Mrs Snooks who lived 5 doors down in Green Acres Rd B31...I was born 1952 so must have been around 1960.

You’re absolutely right, I’ve no dea why I wrote Albert instead of Alfred?
I am the grandson of his daughter Lucy 1903-1929. she died when my father was two years old.
So my G Grandfather George Snook and your GG Grandfather Samuel Stephen Snook were brothers.

So my G Grandfather George Snook and your GG Grandfather Samuel Stephen Snook were brothers.
Which makes us 2nd cousins once removed I believe?
from what I remember my dad telling me, Alfred was a small man with red hair and a short temper.
His temper got the better of him one day when he punched his best mate who fell and hit his head and died.
He was charged with murder but they couldn’t determine if it was the fall or the punch that killed him and he was discharged after serving 1 day for the offence.
I believe he was 65 when it happened and was never the same again.

Remember my Mom mentioning Mrs Snooks who lived 5 doors down in Green Acres Rd B31...I was born 1952 so must have been around 1960.
It’s such an unusual name I guess she was probably related., my side of the snook’s family lived close to the city In the Small Heath area.

This comes from my collection of early family pictures. Almost certainly taken by my father - which would make it 1919 or 1920 - and surviving as a postage sized negative. I have never been able to identify it positively. Such a shame that the scratched-in caption is incomplete and indecipherable.

COULD it be George Snook (1840-1923) in the centre, outside the Floodgate Street thimble and hairpin factory? With employees - perhaps family members which would explain the small girl? A grand-daughter, even? (Not my mother - far too young). The father of the girl perhaps one of George's sons - William Samuel, James, George Jr - and therefore in the picture as well.

All highly conjectural, unfortunately.

Chris

PS Location? Probably not! There is the trace of a sign at the very top edge of the image which suggests a pub. But in Floodgate Street?

Attachments

• ukGroup....jpg
    ukGroup....jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
This comes from my collection of early family pictures. Almost certainly taken by my father - which would make it 1919 or 1920 - and surviving as a postage sized negative. I have never been able to identify it positively. Such a shame that the scratched-in caption is incomplete and indecipherable.

COULD it be George Snook (1840-1923) in the centre, outside the Floodgate Street thimble and hairpin factory? With employees - perhaps family members which would explain the small girl? A grand-daughter, even? (Not my mother - far too young). The father of the girl perhaps one of George's sons - William Samuel, James, George Jr - and therefore in the picture as well.

Chris

PS Location? Probably not! There is the trace of a sign at the very top edge of the image which suggests a pub. But in Floodgate Street?
chris i thought a pub at first but looking closer there seems to be metel bars at the front door which could suggest a small factory..again only guess work..do you know what the hairpin factory was called ?

lyn

Just found the names of 2 Snooks family in Green Acres Road Kings Norton in 1950. My Nan and Mom moved here from Belgrave Road so these could have moved from Small Heath....maybe to work in Austins ?

Attachments

• Capture snooks.PNG
    Capture snooks.PNG
    259 KB · Views: 2
chris i thought a pub at first but looking closer there seems to be metel bars at the front door which could suggest a small factory..again only guess work..do you know what the hairpin factory was called ?

lyn
Lyn, "George Snook" I think. Mike has shown us in an earlier post in this thread exactly where it was located (and the building survives). That tells me that the background of the image probably wasn't that; and also the strip at the very top of the picture which says something like "The......Ales". "The Home....Ales"?? Or even "Arms"?

Chris

Untitled-1.jpg

thanks chris i also thought i saw the word ales...will take another look at this as it does have pub look to it

lyn

Chris

I’m almost certain this is a pub, I believe the writing above reads “Fine Home Brewed Ales”?
it has the obscure glass and what looks like “ales” in the top

hi littlejon i agree with you fine home brewed ales it is...well done...now all we have to do is name that pub and the location :rolleyes:

lyn

Just found the names of 2 Snooks family in Green Acres Road Kings Norton in 1950. My Nan and Mom moved here from Belgrave Road so these could have moved from Small Heath....maybe to work in Austins ?
Posted same names in post #77 but from 1957

hi littlejon i agree with you fine home brewed ales it is...well done...now all we have to do is name that pub and the location :rolleyes:

lyn
Perhaps it was the Spring Gardens , just a few yards away. It did brew its own ales , in the 1870s at least (see below). It also lost its licence in 1905, and the building in the photo does not look as if it is necessarily a working pub

Birm Gaz, 28,1,1870.jpg

My gran was Flora Snook, the daughter of Samuel Stephen Snook. His mother died in 1853 and his father remarried (this is Elizabeth), Samuel Snook was born in Maiden Bradley, the son of Martin Snook and Edith Carr. Martin is mentioned as a relative in the will of William Snook, gentleman, of Mere in 1822. This connects them to the Snook family of Huntingford near Gillingham, Dorset.

Hello shefranco!
We have a common ancestor in Martin Snook c1785-1853 and Edith (didn’t know her name was Carr!) - they were my g-g-g-g grandparents. Their son Samuel Snook 1811-1872 had a son George 1840-1923 who married 1.Mary Ann Tovey 1839-1876 and 2.Elizabeth Tovey 1848-1923. My great grandfather James Snook 1868-1949 of Aston was the son of George and Mary Ann.

Hi CathL,
George helped my gran's family after her father died. My gran was 7 and her youngest sister Eliza a baby. When they left school they went to work in George's factory. Our family had hat pins and corset stays made of plaited wire which were made in the factory. After the fire my grandparents went to work for grandad's cousins.

Wow, another amazing little snippet of the Snook family life revealed. Lovely to know that George supported so many family members!

No help for ancestry but I went to school with a Jenny Snook in Calne, Wiltshire, she was from Seattle in America. It was a long time ago. She was living with a relative there in Wiltshire, an aunt I believe.

Back