• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snead and Knibbs

B

BernardR

This photo shows a group of workers near the Yardley Cemetery Gate. I believe my first wife's Grandfather is one of them. Probably one of those with a big moustache from photo's I saw of him.

I remember as a kid going past Snead & Knibbs and thinking what a great name for monumental masons next to a cemetary, they sound as if they are out of a Dickens novel.

How strange is that ! I was only thinking the other day,like you do...I wonder what happened to...?
I used to live in the same road as the Snead family. They had a car! In the 50's that was fantastic. Are they still there,along the road on the way to the Swan (forgot its name)

Sorry Suze I can't help as I live nowhere near the Swan and if heading that way it is usually along the Coventry Road (the best thing to come out of Coventry by the way).

This photo shows a group of workers near the Yardley Cemetery Gate. I believe my first wife's Grandfather is one of them. Probably one of those with a big moustache from photo's I saw of him.
Hi I know this is a very old thread but I am a direct descendant of James Snead I believe your talking about my great grandfather. The business was taking over by my uncle when my father died and is now based in water Orton. Snead and knibbs.

If your first wife was Micky Snead...I am guessing that you are my ex brother in law Tony ? Sadley Micky died as did my husband Jim and all the rest of the family...Edna being the last. This post is from Kay

How strange is that ! I was only thinking the other day,like you do...I wonder what happened to...?
I used to live in the same road as the Snead family. They had a car! In the 50's that was fantastic. Are they still there,along the road on the way to the Swan (forgot its name)
Hi Suze...I am Kay...wife of the late Jim Snead. Sadley the whole Snead family who lived in Mansfield Road all died, my husband was 48 when he died followed shortly after by his sister Michelene, the last was their mothr Edna who lived in Mansfield Road until her death aged 92. My brothrr Micheaal still trades under the Snead and Knibbs nme from Water Orton.

Hello...I'm so sorry to hear of the early deaths of your family . Mickey was my friend so we were probably the same age...I'm 69 now and still working
We had lots of innocent fun....outside...on the canal banks...at the back of Poveys wood yard...I think it's built on now

Hello...I'm so sorry to hear of the early deaths of your family . Mickey was my friend so we were probably the same age...I'm 69 now and still working
We had lots of innocent fun....outside...on the canal banks...at the back of Poveys wood yard...I think it's built on now
Hi Suze..I remember Povey.....even Clive Povey the son died young leaving a young wife and family. I think you are right Micky would have been 69. Nice to hear from you...from Kay Snead .

Hi Suze..I remember Povey.....even Clive Povey the son died young leaving a young wife and family. I think you are right Micky would have been 69. Nice to hear from you...from Kay Snead .
Hi Kay. You may not remember me, although I hope you do(Ron from Graham road), good friends with Jim for a few years, we had a few drinks together in the old days (Tavern in the Town). I am so sorry to hear about him passing at such a young age, so sad. I posted a memory on FB today about Clive Povey and Jim, happy days. I actually wrote a memoir about Bob Dylan during lockdown and it was Jim that introduced me to him, must be about 1966. I remember meeting him at the IOW festival in 1969, when Dylan was on. Hope you are ok

Back