• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smiths Industries

Eutrino

master brummie
Can anyone help me blow the cobwebs off what is left of my mind? Back in the late 60's I worked for a few months at a Smiths Industries factory on the Coventry Road in Small Heath. All I can remember is that the facility was called 'Linkula Works' and they produced a range of industrial pressure and temperature guages. I think it was located somewhere near Golden Hillock Road but I may be off a bit. Any info or other input would be much appreciated.

This is presumably the place you mean, as its telegraphic address is Linkula:
Smiths Industries Ltd. gauge mfrs. 921 Coventry rd 10.T A "T A "'Linkula.Bhf Telex" It is apparently next to/close to Hay Mills Bridge
Mike

Thats the one Mike. It used to have a large clock out side. ther are 1or 2 factorys stil there but most were demolished for road widening.

My Dad Ken Daniels worked there for many years untill he retired. I remember visiting "Linkula" with him on a Saturday morning.
Said to myself - not going to work in a factory. Ended up at GKN Hardy Spicer - LOL

I used to work at Linkula Works ... I remember Ken Daniels in Dial Printing - he was a lovely man! Does anyone have a photograph of Linkula Works (Smiths Industries) - I would love to see a picture of the exterior again, just to sharpen up the memory. I have very happy memories of working for that company, there was a good set of characters there and never a dull moment!

Hi Angie,
My brother, Dennis Bradley, worked there in the 60's and part of the 70's. Almost opposite the wonderful Bedders.

Yes, that is the place - opposite Bedders! (We always had Fish & Chips on Fridays from there.) I didn't start to work at Smiths Industries until 1977 so I would not have been there at the same time. However, I think your brother might have known my dad Keith Wall! If you know of anybody who might have a picture of the factory I would appreciate them posting a copy! I've trawled the internet and can't find anything!

It was my brother who first introduced our family to Bedders. Been going there for 50 years now! I don't think my brother has a photo of Smiths, but I'll check, and also see, if he remembers your dad. I know my brother also has happy memories of Smiths.

I used to work at Linkula Works ... I remember Ken Daniels in Dial Printing - he was a lovely man! Does anyone have a photograph of Linkula Works (Smiths Industries) - I would love to see a picture of the exterior again, just to sharpen up the memory. I have very happy memories of working for that company, there was a good set of characters there and never a dull moment!
I worked in the dial printing dept your dad was my manager my name was sue bridges I loved it I was a sprayer my mum also worked there Doreen bridges

I worked for your dad my name is sue bridges I worked there in 1978 to 1981

I worked for a very short time at Smith's in the offices (didn't like it much). I lived just up the road in a cottage owned by M&B brewery, who also owned the pub on the corner next to the cottages. The pub and cottages were also demolished for road widening, as was the large hardware business that was at the back of us next to Webster and Horsefall. Anyone recall the name of the Hardware Buisness? Their car park was next to us and they allowed us to park our car.

My Dad Ken Daniels worked there for many years untill he retired. I remember visiting "Linkula" with him on a Saturday morning.
Said to myself - not going to work in a factory. Ended up at GKN Hardy Spicer - LOL
I remember Ken Daniels, I think he was in charge of the Dial Printing dept. Nice man and very helpful

Hi all I am researching my grandfather and grandmother who worked here in the 50's - Irishman Thomas O'Mara, and Irish Mclaughlin (not Irish despite the name). Iris left to have my mother in 1960 and I presume Thomas carried on working there but for how long I don't know. I believe they both worked (or perhaps just Iris) in a pub nearby to the work place in the evenings. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Hi Everyone,
I worked at Smiths Linkula Works around 1977/8. I was in the office working for Mr Downey I think it was. I was looking after (progrmming) some new lathes in the machine shop. I was working with a fitter called Ray Singh. I shared an office with Time and Motion team amongst others, a gent and a young lady. Left Smiths to work at GEC Witton.

Back