• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith's Coaches Stratford Road

Louis Dalby

The Ham Man
I have attached a picture of a Smith's Bedford OB. It was taken on a day trip to Cheddar Gorge. To see picture click on the title.

[ame="https://www.flickr.com/photos/g1ulz/2789628043/in/set-72157602063900204/"]HON 225 at Cheddar on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3115/2789628043_a8303644c5.jpg?v=0@@AMEPARAM@@2789628043@@AMEPARAM@@a8303644c5[/ame]

Last edited:
Its listed in Smiths Imperial Coaches book as HON 255, a 1948 29 seat Bedford Duple Vista, but not a photo of it. Heres a photo of sister coach JOF 332, sorry about the glare on it.

Its listed in Smiths Imperial Coaches book as HON 255, a 1948 29 seat Bedford Duple Vista, but not a photo of it. Heres a photo of sister coach JOF 332, sorry about the glare on it.

Hi, Have you been able to open my picture ??. Lou.

Find attached a picture supplied to me by Ron Smith of one of he's OBs. Rgds

[ame="https://www.flickr.com/photos/g1ulz/2811397842/in/set-72157602063900204/"]Bedford OB on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/2811397842_d4b0515dc6.jpg?v=0@@AMEPARAM@@2811397842@@AMEPARAM@@d4b0515dc6[/ame]

Lou. Have opened them now, was my fault, was not clicking on the top. sorry. Thanks for them. John 70

Try Clicking at top of the frame. Lou. Do you still live in Hollywood ?, I lived on the corner of New Road in 1945 and went to Silver Sreet School. Lou.

Hi Lou, Got the pic OK. Interested to see coach was not parked up in the Gorge as most going there were. I live in Hollywood but only since 1967. In the early 60's I worked on Midland Red school buses to Silver Street School.
Mike

Hi Lou, great photos thanks for sharing. Wasn't Smith's next door to Vale Onslow and on the other side of the Stratford Road was my favourite shop; The Model Aerodrome?

Hi Lou, Got the pic OK. Interested to see coach was not parked up in the Gorge as most going there were. I have live in Hollywood but only since 1967. In the early 60's I worked on Midland Red school buses to Silver Street School.
Mike

I also have a copy of that picture. I will also remember going into dinner ( The large end of the building) and the headmaster Mr Matthews had a wireless on !!. I found out during the dinner time it was D Day little did I know at that time I had just lost my uncle, he's aircraft was shot down over the beaches and his grave is at Clavodos Normandy. :(

Hi Lou, great photos thanks for sharing. Wasn't Smith's next door to Vale Onslow and on the other side of the Stratford Road was my favourite shop; The Model Aerodrome?

It was on the corner of Farm Road Onslow's were on the same side a bit further down towords Camp Hill, I expect most of us with bikes went in there at some time or other. Rgds Lou.

I can remember going to Smith's Coaches in about 1956 to be taken on holiday to Cliftonville...my mother, my aunt and cousins, and little me! It took from very early morning until late evening to make the miles to Kent. We did it just the once - never again. Earlier this year i had to go to Ramsgate on business and it took less than four hours, courtesy of modern roads and a car able to do more than the 50 mph maximum of passenger coaches in the fifties.

Big Gee

Hi Lou, Got the pic OK. Interested to see coach was not parked up in the Gorge as most going there were. I live in Hollywood but only since 1967. In the early 60's I worked on Midland Red school buses to Silver Street School.
Mike

I lived on Yardley Wood Road near Swanhurst Park ( 1947 ), there was some pre - fab's just before the No 11 crossed, We moved later to Cateswell Road near Hall Green station.

When I was working for Knight Signs (no relation) in the early 60's we were the ones who did the Smiths Imperial Coaches sign on the front of the building, there were 4 of us on the job, the big letters at each end were about 6ft. tall, whilst we were there Mr Smith came to see how we were getting on and left us a fiver between us.

When I was working for Knight Signs (no relation) in the early 60's we were the ones who did the Smiths Imperial Coaches sign on the front of the building, there were 4 of us on the job, the big letters at each end were about 6ft. tall, whilst we were there Mr Smith came to see how we were getting on and left us a fiver between us.

If you go to the " Made in Birmingham " site there is a picture of the sign. Look under Smith's. Rgds Lou.

Hi. John. Did you know a Bob Ward at Knight Signs.

Did a midnight return to Southsea for Smiths in the early seventies, not very keen as only found it was a midnight return when i got there. Coach was ok until the rooflight blew out on the way (Bedford VAL) spent quite some time fixing back in before we were able to return. No thanks so decided never again.

Back