• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smithfield Garage

hi malmar and welcome to the forum and how lovely it is that you have a little bit of brum history on film..what a treat it would be if we could see your 8mm film..

lyn

Last edited:
I will try and transfer it on to a DVD I have transferred other family films to DVD with moderate success . Perhaps you know someone who is able to do it professionally. If you have meetings I could show it using my 8mm projector and screen . Thanks for welcoming me to the Forum .

hello malmar to be honest with you i must be the least most technical member of the forum but hopefully some of our members with more know how maybe able to suggest a way of transferring your film onto the forum...we do hold a couple of meet ups a year in which forum members have a get together...many new friendships have been formed over the years..we also hold a raffle which is always popular...in fact our next meet up is our xmas one and is on sat 10th of december and you and any friends or family are more than welcome to join us...not sure if you live in birmingham but in case you are interested click on the link below which takes you to the meet up thread giving you all the details...:)

lyn
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/christmas-meet-up-2016.47058/

Hi True Brummie Tried to reply through link but no go I will be at the xmas meet . Managed to transfer 8mm film to DVD I will bring it with me and a Raffle prize . Looking forward to meeting everyone . I live in Aldridge if anyone needs a lift.

hi malmar...look forward to meeting you at the xmas meet up and many thanks for the raffle prize...will add your name to the list...:) i have also sent you a private message

lyn

I also worked at at Smithfield ,was there from 1957 to approx '62", Mr Winkley gave me my job, I went up on the off chance one Saturday morning and he said to start Monday morning.

I can still remember most of the names...Wally Charlton, workshop foreman, Les Smith charge hand ,Harry Robinson, Roy Buffery, Keith Black, could go on for ever...

I was in the stores at Smithfield 1972-73. Smashing people to work with but Volkswagen spares always seemed to need chassis numbers for any part and I could not handle it. I remember Les Smith, Hedley Hindmarsh, Allan Corbett, Andy Stevens, Mr Clive, Tony Ticer, Dave Rowley, Tom Gillette, Mr Winkley, Sandra from the office and Martin Broadbent. Smithfield were also BMW agents and I remember sitting in a brand new 2000CS in the showroom.

I was in the stores at Smithfield 1972-73. Smashing people to work with but Volkswagen spares always seemed to need chassis numbers for any part and I could not handle it. I remember Les Smith, Hedley Hindmarsh, Allan Corbett, Andy Stevens, Mr Clive, Tony Ticer, Dave Rowley, Tom Gillette, Mr Winkley, Sandra from the office and Martin Broadbent. Smithfield were also BMW agents and I remember sitting in a brand new 2000CS in the showroom.
I was there about the same time and can remember: Les Smith, Allan Corbett (he went to work at Car Lighting), Hedley Hindmarsh, Tony Ticer, Dave Rowley ( died a few years ago), Tom Gillette, Mr Winkley and Martin Broadbent. I was an auto- electrician with Les Jeans. Gordon (the swimmer), he was the workshop foreman/tester. I sometimes see him in Sutton. Roger the workshop foreman. Terry Blizzard (mechanic) who was a friend of Dave Rowley.

Back in the early 60's when working on converting Morgans Sausages to the Manzil Restaurant and the Lorica Cafe next door that where I used to go for the Sos & Tom sandwiches for breakfast every day, as you say Bob the best in the area.

The site of this garage, is of course just a very small part of the history of the old city. Most history of that place and the area lie beneath the surface. Quite interesting excavations and the subsequent finds have given much information of the areas past, illustrating the various industries that were undertaken in the early and late medieval times. Most seem to have been located there due to the amount of water/river that was a large feature of the place. It revealed that some of the area, where the garage was, was built-up ground enabling structures to be built.
Digbeth and Deritend have so much hidden history* that is still being discovered.

* "Birmingham The Hidden History" - if you haven't got a copy, treat yourself to one. ;)

I was there about the same time and can remember: Les Smith, Allan Corbett (he went to work at Car Lighting), Hedley Hindmarsh, Tony Ticer, Dave Rowley ( died a few years ago), Tom Gillette, Mr Winkley and Martin Broadbent. I was an auto- electrician with Les Jeans. Gordon (the swimmer), he was the workshop foreman/tester. I sometimes see him in Sutton. Roger the workshop foreman. Terry Blizzard (mechanic) who was a friend of Dave Rowley.
Yes, Allen Corbett became a rep at Car Lighting which, I think, was in Moseley Road. I now remember Les Jeans and Gordon played water polo at a high level. When I was there I think Terry Blizzard was in the Service Reception. I was with Allan Corbett in the part of the stores that issued parts to the workshop. I had acne and glasses!!

Last edited:
I remember Dave Rowley spraying air freshener into the back of a Type 2 van that was used by a fish merchant. Were you there when there was a fire in the paint stores?

I remember Dave Rowley spraying air freshener into the back of a Type 2 van that was used by a fish merchant. Were you there when there was a fire in the paint stores?
I don't remember the paint store fire.
I have a picture somewhere of when all the staff went to "Hoar Cross Hall' for a bit of a do.

Garage I worked at in a Ryland street had a Johnsons ? Fish merchants van in for accident repairs, think it was one of the Austin J series, when we started to strip out the double skinned rear floor we found it full of maggots. Much panic followed before we pushed the van to the steam cleaner and that was the end of the maggots.

Back