• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith & Wright

Simon68

master brummie
Hi everyone,
Simon the token guy from Suffolk here again.
Been to a coin fair in London today and got a mysterious token as follows...

Smith & Wright + I know they were a famous button maker in the mid 1800’s but this token cleans up the same way silver does so it may even be silver under the tarnish once I have finished cleaning.

On the reverse is a twisted rope and the letters O M S which I have not researched yet.

Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• B1E3F9CA-FE47-4226-9D46-560F08A613D5.jpeg
    B1E3F9CA-FE47-4226-9D46-560F08A613D5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 3854C551-7E20-4A07-B40B-D4C66384666C.jpeg
    3854C551-7E20-4A07-B40B-D4C66384666C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
That seems very likely Pedro. The button must be from after 1888, because of the Ltd on the button

Not an expert on tokens, but this item has two holes, presumably for it to be screwed to another object?
I agree with the Staffordshire connection. In North Staffordshire and the Potteries there were many coal mines, pottery factories and a steel works. Canals also layed a big part in the movement of goods. Lots of possibilities I believe.

The two holes suggests that it was once part of a bracelet or even a necklace..

It is the staffordshire knot, Smith and Wright were in Brearley Street Aston and made metal buttons for the military, in the past I have seen buttons they made as early as 1860s for sale on ebay.

Doesn’t look like a button, as Postie says more like a medal that could be used for a bracelet or necklace.

A long shot...medal for members of the Staffordshire area of the Overseas Mission(ary) Society??

Just a guess, but OMS - On Military Service perhaps ? Issued for people serving but not in uniform. Maybe the holes were for sewing it onto a jacket.

However, what is the size of the button/token ? Viv.

As I mentioned in post 4, there were many other things, mainly industry, that might have had the item under discussion. I do not see a railway connection but as Simon68 (the OP) has said he has not yet researched the item. Being a collector I guess he would know where to look and there is the possibility of the lettering being MOS of course.;)

Wich would indicate, in WW2 time, Ministry of Supply, but this seems older. so I would think that OMS is more likely.

Maurice

Hi everyone, a wealth of answers and opinions, each of which I am grateful for and have considered.

Based on people’s advice, as a Suffolk boy I was unaware of the Staffordshire Knot so I have been enlightened on that.
My own research led me to Smith and Wright being button makers but I don’t think this item is a button. The reference to them making military buttons means that I favour the OMS On Military Service idea.
As a metal detectorist I know that silver cleans with saliva on a cotton bud and the black oxidisation comes off with it. This is doing the same thing, so it is either silver or silver plated. Would it have then being part of a military dog tag perhaps, thus the two holes and why it has blackened, in contact with natural skin oils?
Thanks for everyone’s input. Any more suggestions are very welcome.

Sorry about the poor quality of Images, The blue areas are old tarnished brass coloured, the white areas shiny brass / Bronze coloured. I wish to learn more about this item. It belongs to my mother, who inherited it from her Grand father, It is definitely old.
Neil

Attachments

• TOKEN BIRMINGHAM 2.jpg
    TOKEN BIRMINGHAM 2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 11
  • TOKEN BIRMINGHAM.jpg
    TOKEN BIRMINGHAM.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 11
you may find this thread of interest

Simon
Have you found any leads for Identifying "Smith & Wright Birmingham" Tokens.
Neil

Attachments

• TOKEN BIRMINGHAM 2.jpg
    TOKEN BIRMINGHAM 2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 10
  • TOKEN BIRMINGHAM.jpg
    TOKEN BIRMINGHAM.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 11
Hi everyone,
Simon the token guy from Suffolk here again.
Been to a coin fair in London today and got a mysterious token as follows...

Smith & Wright + I know they were a famous button maker in the mid 1800’s but this token cleans up the same way silver does so it may even be silver under the tarnish once I have finished cleaning.

On the reverse is a twisted rope and the letters O M S which I have not researched yet.

Any ideas anyone?
Home | Order of the Mustard Seed

A long shot I know but could the button be a regalia piece for one of the Worshipful Company of Liverymen?
Another long shot is The Order of the Mustard Seed, a worldwide religious group.

Back