• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith Street 1914

oh right jan i didnt realise that birmingham library keep the catholic bapts...but now i do and in that case it could have been st chads church

lyn

The Birmingham Archives Ronan refers to are the ones held at St Chad's I think. See link in post #16.
Birmingham Catholic records are supposed to be on Find my Past but subject to a 110 year rule. Otherwise at St Chad's.

Yes i have them on both irish census but unfortunitely that doesnt help me in regards to birmingham.
Can somebody help me also in regards to addresses, are there several number ones on each road as certain number ones are in courts?
Im asking not only in regards to smith street but also unett street. In 1901 a kate edwards from wexford is in unett street and im pretty sure i found a 1911 census for her in unett street but cant find her now. We believe this to be alfreds aunt and annies sister.
Really interested in understanding street layouts in birmingham.
Thanks again everybody.

I see from Alfred's birth certificate that Annie was married before to a (George ?) Morris. Did she marry again before Savage?

Yes i have them on both irish census but unfortunitely that doesnt help me in regards to birmingham.
Can somebody help me also in regards to addresses, are there several number ones on each road as certain number ones are in courts?
In streets the houses on the street are numbered normally. However the courts are numbered as well. So you might get houses called 1 back of 50, 2 back of 50 etc. Number 50 was on the street and the 1 and 2 were in courts.
You could also get the street numbered and the courts numbered so you might get court 14 with 6 houses. In this case a house might be house 1 court 14. Each court would have a number 1.

Im asking not only in regards to smith street but also unett street. In 1901 a kate edwards from wexford is in unett street and im pretty sure i found a 1911 census for her in unett street but cant find her now. We believe this to be alfreds aunt and annies sister.
There is a Kate Edwards in Unett Street on 1901 census. She is a boarder at 138 Unett Street. Listed as a machinist in a factory and aged 21.

The numbering of houses is not too bad one you get used to the meaning. As Alfreds birth cert says 1 Smith Street I would think it unlikely to be a court house.

That's good, wasn't sure I was looking at the right person. Was it Michael Neill rather than O'Neill? Seems to be just Neill on the marriage, baptisms & censuses.

Thank you pjmburns, its oneill, if you look closely at the census the o is hidden within the n but they seem to spell it differently all the time

Hello again. I got a responce from St. Chads and it looks good. No Godfather was named for Alfred though but the Godmother is Mary Mattews. After further searching I found that Mary Kate Edwards (kate edwards unett st 1901) married a Thomas Henry Matthews in 1902, found them on the 1911 census which had her age wrong but found her again on 1939 register which has her age correct. So it all seems to fit together. So thank you to all of you for your help, specially pjmburns for pointing me to the record and St. Chads.
Im wanting to ask 2 more questions, firstly where is number 1 victoria avenue park road? I found a park road on todays maps but no mention of victoria avenue.
Secondly is it possible to look up English house/land deeds from 1911 - 1920 or are there no such records in existance?
Thanks again

Back