• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith Street 1914

Ronandoran

knowlegable brummie
Hello, Im hoping somebody can help me. I recently found my grandfather (Alfred Savage) was born in 1 Smith Street in may of 1914.
I was wondering if anybody has a picture of number 1 from around this time but the main issue I was hoping for help with is baptisimal certs.
Its important to my family that we try find this. Im on find my past and found a large database of baptisimal certs but the Churches we suspect he was baptised in dont seem to be in the list. Does Smith Street come under the district of Coventry in this regard or Birmingham? The Churches im in interested in are St. Marys in Moseley, St. Annes which isnt there anymore, St. James and St Peter and Pauls which seems to be closest to Smith Street.
Can anybody tell me if the register for these Churches is online and maybe provide a link to them or can anybody at least tell me what district and such these churches are in?
I know the records are probably in the Library of Birmingham but Im in Wexford Ireland so getting over at the minute is difficult.
Thanks for any help anybody can offer.
Ronan

Smith Street was in the Nechells area of Birmingham, coming under the Aston registration district.

It ran between Schofield St and Bloomsbury St.

The nearest church would have been St Catherine's on the corner of Schofield St & Smith St. Unfortunately I don't think the church records for St Catherine's are online.

Searched St Peter & St Paul, nothing appears to be there. St Matthew's, Duddeston is close but nothing there. Records for St Anne's are not online and those for St Clement's, Nechells are online up to 1906 only.

Last edited:
are you certain it was the smith st in nechells..do you have his birth cert.. maybe someone who is on ancestry could double check for his bapt record..

lyn

The Alfred Savage birth registration that best matches a May 1914 birth is in Bham, so probaly not Smith St, Nechells. Possibly Smith St, Hockley.

Yes its in hockley behind unett street, so would peter and pauls still be the closest church? I have searched for the baptisimal records but cant find them. I have a photocopy of the birth registry but am waiting for a birth cert from the GRO, hopfully be here monday.
Thank you all for your help, its deeply appreciated.
Ronan

St Peter & St Paul would have been a distant away. Closest would have been St George's. And then possibly St Paul's.

Do you know his parents first names? Are you sure it would have been a C of E baptism? Many other denominations are not online. Sorry for the questions but the more you can tell us the better we can search.

Yes its in hockley behind unett street, so would peter and pauls still be the closest church? I have searched for the baptisimal records but cant find them. I have a photocopy of the birth registry but am waiting for a birth cert from the GRO, hopfully be here monday.
Thank you all for your help, its deeply appreciated.
Ronan

thanks i thought it may have been smith st hockley but your first post threw me a little...we do have a thread for smith st hockley with old photos on it...as already said st georges church would be the closest church being only a couple of mins walk from smith st...the birth cert will be interesting to see

lyn

Im not sure what a c of e baptism was but it would have been catholic, the names were Philip Savage and Annie Savage, his name is Alfred Edward Savage.

Thank you to both of you, i seen on a census from Smith Street somebody wrote St Georges but didnt realize it was a church

Thanks also for the map and i have viewed the old streets thread with some lovely photos dating back to the time in question, none of number 1 that i seen though

Im not sure what a c of e baptism was but it would have been catholic, the names were Philip Savage and Annie Savage, his name is Alfred Edward Savage.
C of E means Church of England. Your reply explains why we can't find a record online.
Catholic baptisms are not online (or at least only a very few on Family Search). The churches you named are, I think, Church of England. Birmingham Catholic records are held at St Chad's - the Birmingham Cathedral but (last time I went) are not digitised.
See the website here http://www.birminghamarchdiocesanarchives.org.uk/contact.asp

Found it - he was baptised at St Chad's on 25th June 1914 and his birth date is given as 20th May 1914. I think you can order a copy of the record now you know the details but I would email the archives and ask. Hope your Latin is good
:D

Family Search https://www.familysearch.org/en/ is free to register but often has only transcripts not original entries - as in this cae.

Last edited:
I am not sure what the process is but contact St Chad's via this email address [email protected] and ask. As you know the name and date(s) now I think they may be able to help, also explain you are in Wexford. I imagine there might be a charge. I don't think they open every day so you might have a wait for a reply.
I have never done it that way as I live near enough to go under normal circumstances but not at the moment the way things are.

Hello again, sorry to bother you. I. Trying to see the information you founf about the date of Alfreds baptism on the link you gave me to the archive but I cant. Is there any chance you could screen shot the information and post it here?
I also got an automated responce from them saying records are closed for 110 years, is this true?

Back