• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

SMITH - James Henry

whiteheather

proper brummie kid
I have a James Henry Smith married to Mary ann Evans on 24 spet 1860 in St Mary's could anyone please tell me who James father and mother were and who Mary's father and mother were. I know they had Martha ann Smith my gr. grandmother born 1866 in Birmingham, did they have any more children, I have looked for them on several census but to no avail thanks Heather

Re: james henry smith

Hi whiteheather,
familysearch.org has James' father as Elijah Smith and Mary's father as Thomas Evans

In 1851 there is a James Henry with father, Elijah and mother, Mary Ann ...also with siblings Sarah Ann, Mary Jane, Charles Edward and Caroline Elizabeth
at Brewery Street, 3 court Aston

HO107 piece 2060, folio 403 page 18
Hope this helps

I found that one too, but sort of discounted it as it would mean James Henry was only 17 when he married, given that you know the marriage date whiteheather - I know it is a possibility, but he would have been young for the times at that.It is on Ancestry too.
Hope it is the right one for you whiteheather.
Sue

Although Martha was my gr. grandmother I don't know much about her, I have her on 1891 census married to Charles Mayfield, but I didn't know her birth or who her parents were until somebody told me, so I dont know if they are the right family or not, hoping that they are, thanks for your help
Heather

And assuming they are the ones, there is another tentative match in 1871, only thing is, James Henry is listed as "Henry", but age fits, wife is Mary Ann, children are Harriet age 8, Martha age 5,James age 3 and William Henry age 1.
Living at 7 Montpelier Terrace,?Sharp Street - can't quite make out street name!
HO 137,piece 3139,folio 76, page 28.
Sue

Hi, you said that in 1851 there was a James Henry with father Elijah and mother Mary Ann, do you know if Elijah married a Mary ann Mayfield or a Mary ann Wells from Heather

Heather, theres a marriage of an Elijah Smith to Mary Ann Mayfield. Sept quarter 1839 at Kings Norton. No other details.
Lynne.

Hi thanks for replying thats the one I saw, but I then got confused as Mary ann was my gr.gr. grandfathers sister and her granddaughter Martha Smith her son James Henry Smith daughter was my gr. grandmother who was married to Charles Edwin Mayfield. this is where I come unstuck as to what relation, I worked it out that although Charles Edwin was a gr. grandson in law to Mary ann Mayfield she was also his gr.gr. aunt
thanks again Heather

Heather I think Elijahs wife, James Henrys mom and James henrys wife were both Mary ann's - the same happened in my family tree and it was very confusing!!
Sue

Back