• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Smith glass factory

StMatt

Sooz B
I am trying to find out about my GGFs glass factory. The family story is that either William Henry Smith or his father Henry Smith has a glass factory. William was born in 1862 or 1864 and lived in Small heath. He was married to Catherine Tracy Green. Both William and Henry were glass cutters and I understand that they owned houses although I cannot confirm this. Any advice would be appreciated.

There are rates record on Ancestry that list the owners but with a name like Smith it would be difficult to be certain you had the right person.

Also it looks possible that William Henry was registered Dec qtr 1860 Aston as Willy.

Ok, I have briefly looked at rates but your right it is difficult to be certain. Still I will persevere. Thank you for your help.

Trade Directories could be the answer to the glass factory problem. I think most companies still marketed under the owner's name at that point in time. Have you looked for a will specifically, not the probate register for the other query.

Trade Directories could be the answer to the glass factory problem. I think most companies still marketed under the owner's name at that point in time. Have you looked for a will specifically, not the probate register for the other query.

Thanks for the info. I hadn’t considered checking for wills but I will have a go. I have had a look at some trade directories but as I don’t know the year and smith being a common name I could find some but couldn’t be certain if any were right also I had to guess where and when the factory existed. It could have been a workshop although the family story is that it was a factory. The censuses show Henry and William as glass cutters suggesting they were employed not owners. Any further suggestions would be gratefully received and I am happy to research them. Sue

The 1862 Corporation directory lists a W.H.Smith (who obviously cannot be yours, but complicates things) as glass cutter at 3 Chapel St Birmingham, and also a Henry Smith, glass cutter a 43 Green Lane. This directory is far more comprehensive than most earlier directories, but suffers from 1 problem, in that the lists by name, address and occupation do not always agree, which has been attributed to them being obtained in different surveys probably at different times. Thus the exact year is dubious. The W.H.Smith is listed in occupations and address sections, but not by name, while the Henry is listed in all three.
The 1855 whites directory (but not the 1855 Post office directory) lists a Henry Smith, glass cutter at Harts Mill . but cannot find where that is in the directory.
The 1849 Post office directory lists a Henry Smith, glass dealer, Market Hall,34 Hockley st
The 1849 Whites directory lists a Henry Thomas Smith, painter & glazier at
The 1845 Post Office directory lists a Henry Smith, glazier and painter at 58 Northwood St
The 1868 Post Office directory lists a Henry Smith, glass cutter at Baskerville Place, Easy Row (but not listed in address section) He is not listed in the 1867 edition
The 1872 Post Office directory lists Henry Smith, glass cutter, Old Baskerville House, Easy Row
The 1873 Whites directory lists Henry Smith glass cutter, Baskerville passage; home 58 Muntz St
The 1876-79 Post Office directory lists Henry Smith, glass cutter, Baskerville passage, Easy Row
The 1880-95 Kellys directory, lists Henry Smith, glass cutter, Scotland St
1896 - not listed
The 1897-1900 Kellys directory. Henry Smith, glass cutter, 162A Newhall St
1903, 1904 - no listing

Dates are publication dates of directory and would for more recent years be taken as tear before, but possibly earlier for early directories

Henry Smith of Green lane in Bordesley Green , Aston was my great great grandfather. My grandparents lived with my great grandparents in green lane before moving into Blake lane and my gggf Henry is shown as living at that address with my ggf William Henry. I also found Henry at Baskerville Row and feel that this may well be him. Previous to this Henry smith was a glass dealer at the bull ring, Birmingham again it is possible this was my gggf. The mill maybe where he had the factory so I will check for his will for more info. Really appreciate your help and look forward to any further information or advice you can provide. Sue

Would anyone remember Claude Billingham had a place in Dolman St Vauxhall.My father worked for him doing what they called Leadedlights in Doors.I in my childhood helped of a weekend to clean the place and sweep the floor.Cut myself a few times on the glass:joy::joy:

No, but I will have a look. Thank you

Back