• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Smith family

Honestlove65

Hello I'm new here. I'm hoping someone can help me find information on Margaret Ann Smith born 1940 in Birmingham all I know is her mother was called Ann Smith I don't know her maiden name. We did hear story of Margaret Ann being taken in by some nuns not sure of the true facts but if so how can I find out about that. And where. Any help will be great many thanks.

hi and welcome...have you considered that ann smith was her maiden name and she was single when giving birth to margaret ann which could back up the story that unable to cope as a single parent ann turned to the nuns for help...all this is guess work of course...do you know the area where ann smith lived as it could help...wont be easy with the common name of smith :rolleyes:

lyn

Yes lyn that's one option we have. Thank you that's good point that's where it gets to dead ends sadly but fingers crossed. If only I knew where in Birmingham they lived would have been great but she wasn't big on information which happens a lot sadly

There is one birth in Birmingham of a Margaret A Smith with mothers maiden name Smith, which is possibly because she was illegitimate.
You can order the certificate from Birmingham Register office. the information is registered June 1940 Volume 6d page 686 (that covers April May June and also births that may have been at the end of March) The certificate will have mothers name and address.The cost is £11.
If she was in the care of nuns it may have been at Father Hudsons in Coleshill this is where many Birmingham children were cared for.

Back