• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith Family

P

pagedc

My Grandfather was Joseph Henry Smith, born April 22nd, 1874 in St. George Parish, Birmingham. In 1899 he married Florence Ravenscroft. At the time they were living on Auckland Road. Joseph was a gunsmith working at the B.S.A. plant. They had three children: Clifford, Norah and Kathleen (my mother). For a time they operated a pub called "The Mitre Inn" on Granville Street in the Hollaway Head area. Joseph had three sisters: Frances (Fanny), Kate, and Alice. Smith is a difficult name to search but any info on this family would be great.:)

barrie

master brummie
Hi pagedc.

As you have his exact date of birth, have you got his birth cert? If so what are his parents names? This would help in finding him on the various census's.

barrie.

Di.Poppitt

master brummie
I think this might be the family in 1901

Name:Joseph H Smith Age:26 Estimated Birth Year:abt 1875 Relation:Head Spouse's Name:Florence Gender:Male Where born:B'Ham, Warwickshire, England Civil Parish:Aston Ecclesiastical parish:Christchurch County/Island:
address: Brittania Place Grace Road

Registration district:Aston Sub-registration district Deritend Household Members:NameAge Clifford Smith 3 months Florence Smith 25 Joseph H Smith 26

P

pagedc

Thanks for the 1901 info. Yes, this is indeed my grandparents and my Uncle Clifford Smith who, I am told went on to be a Scotland Yard inspector. I am in Ontario, Canada and only just learning how to use the census records. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pagedc

Hi pagedc.

As you have his exact date of birth, have you got his birth cert? If so what are his parents names? This would help in finding him on the various census's.

barrie.

barrie;
Thanks for the response. Yes, I now have his birth certificate. His father's name was also Joseph Smith (no middle name)and he too was a gunsmith and his mother was Frances Smith (Smith also being her surname). At the time they were living at 10 Court, New Summer Street. I found a marriage of a Joseph( a gunsmith) and Frances Smith on Sept. 30th, 1867 in Shoreditch, Middlesex. His father was Joseph Smith also and he was a blacksmith. Her father was John Smith. I don't know if these are my descendants but I do know I am being surrounded by "Smiths" who seem to be less than imaginative when selecting forenames.

Honestlove65

Hello I'm looking for family of Margaret Ann Smith born 1940 in Warwickshire area her mother was called Ann Smith not sure if this was her married name or maiden name