• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith Bros and Webb Sparkbrook

W

Wendy

Smith_Bros_and_Webb_001.jpg
Here's a photo of my Dad on a lathe at Smith Bros and Web in Sparkbrook. My Mom always said it was posed cause he had his suit on and no overall.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
OOPS you are right Mike my Dad would have smacked my wrist!

Smith_Bros_and_Webb_002.jpg
Smith_Bros_and_Webb_001~0.jpg
Smith_Bros_and_Webb.jpg
Here is a photo of the trade stand my Dad presented at The First International Trade Fair in Chicargo in 1950 the disk had to be worn by exhibiters and I have included his buisness card.

I worked there in the late 50's.I remember mr Jennings, works manager. nice guy. Frank Cross and another chap were welders. George Bates was on the gas cutting machine, Ted Crampton was the foreman. Happy memories!

Oh its so nice to hear from someone who remembers my Dad sadly he died in 1969 when I was 15. It's also nice to know who worked there. I wrote to the company about four years ago and had a nice reply from the chairman.

The attached photo is the last one I have of my Dad taken in Vienna in 1968 whilst he was on a business trip with the institute of metals. My Mom went as well and never stopped talking about it until she died in 2004.

Wendy, How great that another member of the forum remembers your dad from work!
It's a lovely photo of your dad. I am not surprised your mum never stopped talking about the trip to Vienna, not a lot of people travelled abroad then so it would have been very special - especially as you so sadly lost him the following year.
polly

I worked there in the late 50's.I remember mr Jennings, works manager. nice guy. Frank Cross and another chap were welders. George Bates was on the gas cutting machine, Ted Crampton was the foreman. Happy memories!

Hi Murrayfrank. I remember some of the men you mentioned. I used to go with my Dad (Nev Jennings) to Smith Bro. & Webb I would go and see what their latest project was, as I was in engineering, but in a different field to them. The last time I went they were developing a new handbrake for articulated lorry's. Met Ted Crampton a few times and Bill Huxley (Buck) and another chap Pat ?.. Sid Stott and the chairman Mr. O.D. Smith

Hi everyone. I used to work at Smith Bros and Webb. I knew Neville, Ted Crampton, Pat Patterson, Mr Morgan, Freddie Butler, O.D. Smith et al.
C W Huxley was my father. He sadly passed away in 1968 - followed not far after by Neville. I also was friendly with Fred Basseigle (spelling?)
My first ever memory is traveling in Fred Stott's little Austin car in March 1953 - driving under the railway bridge and up Robin Hood Lane. I could go on.

Wendy I remember you and owe you a debt of gratitude - you sort of introduced me to the Kinks - and I have often modeled myself on Ray Davies.

I learned to smoke at Smith Bros & Webb ! I worked on that handbrake - Ted promoted me to the post of "Improver" - I think I got an extra 1/2d per hour. I also worked on the Februat railway washers which I still see around the country.

My mother worked at Smith Bros Construction - and met dad there - so I owe my life to O.D. I have opinions and theories that I won't go public on regards that particular set of circumstancses.

Mom is still alive - but has critical dementia and has no memories of those times.

I'm actually here researching my maternal grandfather - but this is a great find.

Regards to all.

Oh my goodness is that you Rodger. I remember you very well your Dad and mine were good pals your Dad often came to our house and I remember him well.

My Mom Rita passed away in 2004. I contacted the company before her death and received a reply.

I have some photo's of your Dad and one with your Mom and Dad. I remember your visits to our house I think we had similar music tastes! it's brilliant to hear from you. I will send you an instant message.....Oh I love this site!!

this was before my time there. during my years a new factory was built leading into Mole St, Is that street still there? Harry Barnes riveted the cowels of the washers and Cyril Dere from Brumswick St worked on assembly. I visited Brum years ago and I did'nt reccognise this area , Things have changed a lot.

I will have a look through my file and see what I can find. I have some photo's as well. The company eventually moved to Alcester where it is to this day. If my father hadn't passed away this is where we were going to live.

Here is a photo of my Dad and Uncle Bill (thedodgers dad) on the piazza in front of the Domo in Milan. This was a business trip in the 1950's.

This company is now located in Alcester, manufacturing vehicle-cleaning equipment. My firm tried to do business with them, but were turned down...you can't win 'em all.

Big Gee

I used to take calls from this company when their comptometer had broken down. Hi Big Gee long time no hear. True what you said "you can't win em all". Jean.

Back