• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smallwood Ironmongers

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
I have Smallwoods on both my paternal (through his mother's sister and maternal (through her grandmother) sides of my family. My query concerns the Smallwood on my mother's side, first name unknown who owned an ironmongers on Bristol Road and who had an advert on a tram, which David Harvey very kindly sent me a copy of and I cannot now trace, the idea was to put the photo on here. As he was on my great grandmothers side her father was Charles H Smallwood born 1826 approx., lived in Aston and on all censuses to 1901, so is either a son or grandson. My question is, what was his initial/s, what was his address and any photos of the location and of course (Mikejee} one of your maps. Thank you in advance, I know you all like a good mystery search.

Bob

Bob,

Can't spot one actually on Bristol Road, but for many years in the late 1800s (around 1876 onwards) there was a John George SMALLWOOD - ironmonger, at 19 Cregoe Street, which is not that far away. Any clues on date?

Maurice :cool:

Bob,

Can't spot one actually on Bristol Road, but for many years in the late 1800s (around 1876 onwards) there was a John George SMALLWOOD - ironmonger, at 19 Cregoe Street, which is not that far away. Any clues on date?

Maurice :cool:
Thanks Maurice unfortunately I have mislaid the tram picture and do not have an initial or any idea of dates but I will continue to search.
Bob

There is a Charles Herbert listed on the 1911 census living on Bristol Road who is an ironmonger.

He was the son of Charles Henry Smallwood b1852 (Louisa Olsen) who was the son of Charles Henry b1826ish (Mary Ann Sanders)

Last edited:
I think the firm you are looking for must be Smallbrook & Cook , ironmongers, 184 Bristol road Northfield & West heath Road, Northfield in the 1913 & 1915 Kellys. Numbering was then changed and in 1921 it was Charles Herbert Smallwood, 785 Bristol Road South, Northfield & West Heath Road. In 1932 it was 785 & 787 Bristol Road South. By 1950=1969 it is C.H. Smallwood, ironmongers 785 &787 Bristol Road South. the firm is not listed in the 1970 edition. The two properties, 785,787 are shown in red on the c1965 map below. The buildings have now been demolished

map c1965 Northfield showing 785,787 Bristol road south.jpg

I think the firm you are looking for must be Smallbrook & Cook , ironmongers, 184 Bristol road Northfield & West heath Road, Northfield in the 1913 & 1915 Kellys. Numbering was then changed and in 1921 it was Charles Herbert Smallwood, 785 Bristol Road South, Northfield & West Heath Road. In 1932 it was 785 & 787 Bristol Road South. By 1950=1969 it is C.H. Smallwood, ironmongers 785 &787 Bristol Road South. the firm is not listed in the 1970 edition. The two properties, 785,787 are shown in red on the c1965 map below. The buildings have now been demolished

View attachment 144640
Hi mikejee. Is it possible to pin point the address at 93 Smallbrook, please? Many thanks. David

What do you mean by "93 Smallbrook" I cannot see this mentioned on this thread

Sorry, two Smallbrook addresses in the family history.
Samuel Withers, born 1738, died 1820; between 1772 and 1773 gave his occupation as Tailor and the address at 63 Smallbrook St. (Juror's List).
1850 his grandson Edwin Withers gave his occupation as snuff, cigar, rope and twine manufacturer based at 93 Smallbrook St. (Kelly's Directory)
Would like to know where on a street map, these addresses might have been.
Cheers

I think I have already answered your question re no 93 on another forum. Below is the same map with no 93 in red and with no 63 in blue. As before, I think this is the position, but, as this is an 1889 map there may well be some slight differences but I am fairly sure these are the positions

map c1889 smallbrook st showing nos 63 and 93.jpg

I have personal info on C.H. Smallwood. My father joined the company as a delivery boy when he left school at 14. He worked for them until he was in his fifties - apart from the war years - and became a director at some point (I think the family decided to give up their interest and divided the shares between their long-serving employees). I spent many hours working on the shop on Saturdays and during school holidays, and my Dad and I used to spend freezing Sundays in the winter stocktaking. The phone number was Priory 1003! Happy days

I have personal info on C.H. Smallwood. My father joined the company as a delivery boy when he left school at 14. He worked for them until he was in his fifties - apart from the war years - and became a director at some point (I think the family decided to give up their interest and divided the shares between their long-serving employees). I spent many hours working on the shop on Saturdays and during school holidays, and my Dad and I used to spend freezing Sundays in the winter stocktaking. The phone number was Priory 1003! Happy days
Thank you for this, unfortunately I knew nothing of this side of the family until I started family tree searches and not being able to find the photo the late David Harvey sent me has not helped but an interesting reply he was of course my grandmother's brother.
Bob

Back