• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Small heath

I am new to this site and am not sure how to post a query or question - so please re-direct me if this is not it !

I wonder if anyone has photographs of the following :

Whites Removals in Oliver Street, Birmingham - their vans or premises - 1935 - 1945 time. Edit - there is now a separate Whites Removals thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/whites-removals.52352/

Thompsons fruit and vegetable shop in Sutton Street - I think in Aston Cross - ditto

Bomb damage in 2nd WW around the Small Heath - Coventry Road - Blake Lane area

I am putting together a book of my parents life, or rather re-creating one I did for their 50th wedding anniversary. My father worked at White removals and Thompsons fruit / greengrocery around the times indicated.

Thank you for any help - if no photographs perhaps point me to books which might help ?

Last edited by a moderator:
A not very good one of part of Thompsons

Attachments

• Sutton Street and Aston Road.jpg
    Sutton Street and Aston Road.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 59
Lilly

There are photos of both on the forum, try putting the name in the search box, if the name of the company doesn't bring a result try putting the name of the road the company is situated on.

Attachments

• Aston Aston Rd by The Avenue.jpg
    Aston Aston Rd by The Avenue.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Nechells Whites Removals Great Lister St (2).jpg
    Nechells Whites Removals Great Lister St (2).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 4
Many thanks for providing the photos of Whites and Thompsons and the advice about searching for others. I did have a really good photo of Thompsons, with the staff and some customers standing outside, showing the open displays of fruit and veg, a wonderful display including about 50 bunches of bananas hanging down. I suppose it might have been around 1935. Cannot remember where I found it though ! I can use the photos here, so thank you.

Hi all, Here's a 1979 A to Z map of the newly cut Bolton rd as you can see it has nothing to do with the upper part of Bordesley Park rd which ceased to exist around 1970View attachment 102598 View attachment 102599 and a google view of the bolton rd extensionView attachment 102597 with mount pleasant on the right, it seems the bottom part of bordesley park road lasted into the 80s, the roads if not the houses, All the best Michael.
yes as far as i can remember bolton rd ended by the bridge and changed to bordeley park rd which joined coventry rd.at the bridge on the right may have been bordesley park road also running along the railway track which joined arthur st at the back of the bus depot on coventry road

Hi. I have just joined this site and looking for all your help. I am creating a memory lane for my Mom's 70th birthday next March. She went to a school in Dixons Road, Small Heath in 1952. I have been searching for any pictures of the school. She also went to St Anne's Junior School, Trinity Road, Digbeth in 1955. Any picture would be really appreciated.
Thanks Michaela

Hi Michaela,

Welcome to you, I hope these are what you are looking for, the two black & white photos are St Annes School Alcester Street, which I suppose could be considered Digbeth or do you mean the school on Trinity Terrace Camp Hill. If you do I've also included an image of that. The two colour photos (4 & 5) are of the school in Dixon Rd

Attachments

• Highgate St Annes RC School 1933  .jpg
    Highgate St Annes RC School 1933 .jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Highgate St Annes RC School Alcester St.JPG
    Highgate St Annes RC School Alcester St.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Camp Hill Trinity Terrace.jpg
    Camp Hill Trinity Terrace.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Small Heath Dixon Rd School.jpg
    Small Heath Dixon Rd School.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Small Heath Dixon Rd School front.jpg
    Small Heath Dixon Rd School front.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 69
Thanks Phil. These pictures are great. Do you know of a school called St Michael's Senior? I have also posted help for pictures of the following addresses: 2 the Retreat, Bordesely Park Road and 7/135 Irving Street and St Catherines Catholic Church Digbeth. My Grandparents married there in June 1946.

many thanks
Michaela

Michaela

I think you must mean St Catherine's RC church that was on Bristol Street. it was demolished and replaced with a new version in the 60's but I'm attaching a photo of the old one. St Michaels RC School in Digbeth was bombed during the war and I'm sorry I don't have a photo. There are very few photos of Bordesley Park Road about, but if you type it in to the search box at the top right of the page it will bring up any we have on the forum.

Attachments

• Horsefair  St Catherine of Siena Church .jpg
    Horsefair St Catherine of Siena Church .jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 28
Thanks Phil. These pictures are great. Do you know of a school called St Michael's Senior? I have also posted help for pictures of the following addresses: 2 the Retreat, Bordesely Park Road and 7/135 Irving Street and St Catherines Catholic Church Digbeth. My Grandparents married there in June 1946.

many thanks
Michaela

Another pic of Dixon Road for you Michaela. Wal x
15181239_10154741516943844_4611596398814006231_n.jpg

This early 1900s image shows the road being broken up and prepared for the "Electric route" along the Coventry Road. In the modern Streetview the shops have been replaced. Viv.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The one on the right shows Frazier Bros on the corner of Green lane & Coventry road (300 Coventry road), with the library in the background .

St Benedict's Road at the junction with Floyer Road in the 1920s. The corner shop seems to no longer be a shop. Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 21
Thanks Jonob, very helpful. Just so everyone's clear you're referring to post #117 of the photo showing the premises of "Walkers". Viv.

Hi Viv, yes that's the one #117, here's a clearer picture attached. The pub was called the Small Heath Tavern, later known as the Wrexham and finally just before it closed it was called the Greenaway after the pub of the same name was closed, regards, John.

Attachments

• cov rd small hth.jpg
    cov rd small hth.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Small Heath Tavern, aka The Wrexham.jpg
    Small Heath Tavern, aka The Wrexham.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 94
Thanks John. Lots of busy activity in your first photo. Pub now seems to be standing in isolation with little else around it. Such a pity. Viv.

Back