• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Small heath

The phioto is of Spring Road Fox Hollies opposite the Lucas factory by Briafield Road , R J Case known locally as Paulines
Bernie

I remember this shot.
It's a cracking picture.
Does anyone recall the car wash that was tucked in the corner behind the top maisoette on the Kingston car park?

It was called the 5 minute car wash. Anerican style, half a dozen kids washing em by hand sort of like a production line. Owned by an Italian guy called Tony I think.

At the side of it there was an exit door to the kingston balcony which didnt lock properly. Easy to open from the outside if you knew how.

Saw some films 6 or 7 times that winter when the weather was bad.

Redken
I think that it was not Coventry road and that it was probably after 1973. Looking for R.J.Case in Kellys, I could only find one entry, in 1973 (Kellys ended in 1973) at 198 spring road, Tyrsely of R.J.Case, fruiterers. Could only find Barry Slaney in 1972, then at 85 Newhall St. He is not listed in 1973. However in 1973, and for several years before, no 200 Spring road, next door to 198, was Peter(Birmingham) Ltd, turf accountants. Of course the evidenc eis nor certain, but I think the most likely possibility is that Slaney took over Peter after 1973
Mike
The shop after the bookies was a butchers Broughton Brothers and in the early 80s the bookies became Paddock Racing I believe , owned by a guy called Tony Gilroy he had about six shops one on Bordesley Green by the Broadway pub one on Dudley Road a few doors from the Yorkshire Grey pub the others I can't remember

Hi ColH
Car Wash, ohhhhhhhhhhhh my god. I worked there for about 10 mins.
Walt00.

2 cars then ...

Probably OK in the summer months. I remember there use to be long queues on a friday afternoon. Mates who worked there were all scared of the boss iirc.

I am posting this for Ray.
It's a repost (not my work) Tagged it some time ago.
I have looked for a Regents Park Road thread with no luck.
If this picture is on this site somewhere, you have my permission to completely remove this one.
I'd hate to add copies.
Its a shot of residents in Regents Park Road Small Heath 1970.regents pk rd april 1970.jpg

This picture is a repost...(not my work) If it is on this site somewhere please completely remove it.
Maybe its one that was lost due to hackers!!!
This is the corner of Herbert Road opposite Saint Andrews FC.
Dated before my time, but I do remember a glass business here when I was younger.herbert rd. original co op.jpg

This is also a re post,(tagged some time ago) could not find this shot on this site.
Again, if it exists on another thread please completely remove this one.
This is a shot on Herbert Road dated 1940's if I remember.
Love this shot..it was hard for families and young kids back then.herbert rd.jpg

I remember this shot.
It's a cracking picture.
Does anyone recall the car wash that was tucked in the corner behind the top maisoette on the Kingston car park?

Ah yes, we used to go with my dad to the hand car wash at the back of the Kingston in the mid 60's. Until recently you could still see the paint on the wall from the long demolished building.....might even still be there......

I remember Tony Gilroy,.. Irish guy. My parents owned a bookies on Berkley road (I think it was) only for about a year and then sold it as we were emigrating. He was the one who bought it off them. Also my sister worked for a short time in the one by the Broadway pub.

Redken That was taken in Russell Grove, Regent Park Road, where i was born. it is a shame it has been allowed to get this bad...........Walt.

I tagged this shot...can anyone comfirm it actually is Watery Lane...it some how reminds me of the bottom of Coventry Road leading towards Bordseley bridge..the old metal merchants could have became the garage and car repair which I remember there in the 60's.
If it is Watery Lane, can someone pinpoint its location there?
Thanks
Redken
Small Heath Watery Lane.jpg

Walt, was that the photo in post 68 that you thought might be Russell Grove?

Neville...

QUOTE=walt00;457065]Redken That was taken in Russell Grove, Regent Park Road, where i was born. it is a shame it has been allowed to get this bad...........Walt.[/QUOTE]

Hi Neville
Yes mate it is taken outside the House i was born in. I actually know the two women in the picture but i cant name them as thier families are still around. Russell Grove was a lovely Grove when i was young used to ride me little 3 wheeler up and down all day as not many kids up there then. Cheers!!.
Walt.

Is there any chance these 'photos everyone refers to can be re posted. I am a new member and would love to see pictures of Bolton Road, I lived there with my family in the early 50s through to early 70s this would be a wonderful trip down memory lane, thank you.

All the missing photo on the thread have now been replaced by the original posters or by the efforts of the moderation team with images the same as or as near possible to the originals.

Last edited:
Back