• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Small heath

There used to be a sweet shop at the bottom of Herbert Rd (Cov rd end) and the lady who lived there was a Mrs Anslow ???

not sure but they lived in regents park rd I know her brother Wally drinks in what was the Albert by on bordesley green unfornately we moved from Herbert rd and lost contact

Found a few more..........

Attachments

• Small Heath Regent Park Rd = Coventry Rd .jpg
    Small Heath Regent Park Rd = Coventry Rd .jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Small Heath Coventry Rd Nr Golden Hillock Rd 1972 .jpg
    Small Heath Coventry Rd Nr Golden Hillock Rd 1972 .jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited by a moderator:
Col H: Thanks for the photo of Turners Pet supplies. My dad used to send me there in the 50's for canary seed etc. Wooden floor, sacks outside.

Col H: Thanks for the photo of Turners Pet supplies. My dad used to send me there in the 50's for canary seed etc. Wooden floor, sacks outside.

Yeah, used to get groundbait there for fishing. Could ever see how a seed merchant could make much money in a location surrounded by back to back houses though !

Must have made his money off pigeon fanciers and those hard dog biscuits he used to sell...Just down the Cov on the opposite side there was a Foster Brothers, where they used send the cash through a tube and on the same side as Turners, past Woolies there was McGauley's toy shop, don't suppose you have any photos do you?

Must have made his money off pigeon fanciers and those hard dog biscuits he used to sell...Just down the Cov on the opposite side there was a Foster Brothers, where they used send the cash through a tube and on the same side as Turners, past Woolies there was McGauley's toy shop, don't suppose you have any photos do you?

I remember em both shops well, Fos Bros for school clothes, McGauleys for airfix models and bike bits, and a manager who looked like the bloke who used to do tomorrows world. There was a tobacco shop next door that used to sell Joysticks, sort of a 10" long park drive.

I got literally dozens of pics of small heath, on a seperate hard drive, I'll have a look when i get time, I cant remember one of either though.

and just past magualeys was bywaters opposite the horse trough I had an after school and saturday job there. Anyone got any pics of Herbert rd and Oakley rd school please.

and just past magualeys was bywaters opposite the horse trough I had an after school and saturday job there. Anyone got any pics of Herbert rd and Oakley rd school please.

Only Bywaters I remember was the abatoir in Greenway St. I thought it was for the pork pie factory, didnt realise they had a shop as well.

There was a Butchers opposite side to McGauleys though.

So pleased this thread has started.Does anyone have any photos or info on Coachsmiths Arms,Watery Lane please? Am just going on the link above this post to have a look.

was on same side as magauleys the factory was up by the greenway pub oppositte wooleys

I remember the old Chow dog that lived there we used to play in the yard

was on same side as magauleys the factory was up by the greenway pub oppositte wooleys

Wrexham was opposite woolies, Bowling Green Rd at side of that, other entrance to the same factory I expect.

I can remember watching Woolies burn down when I was very small ......any idea what year that was ?

I stand corrected your right I think I was about 9 cos the houses top of our yard backed onto and were evacuated to it so it must have been 54-55 some of the kids were given stuff that was rescued. Do you remember the house on the same road as oakley rd school being burnt down and whole family died?

Back