• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Small Heath Streets

Its a possibility that that tower was the library/ swimming baths at the green lane Coventry rd junction.

hi im new to this site trying to find pictures of victoria terrace of worsley street in small heath lived there around 1968 i went to tilton road school i remember mrs morgan was one of the teacher in the infants can any one on here help please

hi gary and welcome to the forum...cant say as i have heard of a worsley st in small heath...there is however a wolseley street ??

lyn

Mizzyjo
Not sure which post that was, but many of our early photos were lost as a result of a hacking attack. Many have been replaced, but not all

hi gary and welcome to the forum...cant say as i have heard of a worsley st in small heath...there is however a wolseley street ??

lyn
hi lyn yes thats right sorry about my spelling i went down there last saturday to say its all changed is and understament lol. i dont know when we moved there but there was a victoria terrace there in 1968 0f we lived at number 5 next door but one to the canal . neighbours across the terrace were joyce and fred reynolds next door to the canal were dave and sylivia and they had a daughter think her name was julie. i went to tilton road school. funny it seamed a long way up garrison lane then to get to school only took a minute in the car. i can still remember my first day at school being excited to go back again in the afternoon. would love to find a photo of victoria terrace but no joy as of yet. i seem to remember there was a shop on wolseley street and im pretty sure the lady who ran it was called mrs aspry again not sure on the spelling of her name. there used to be a garage round there and there was a lady called joan who worked ther think it was a fina garage at the time. if you could suggest anything were i could find victoria terrace i would be grateful . many thanks gary

hi lyn yes thats right sorry about my spelling i went down there last saturday to say its all changed is and understament lol. i dont know when we moved there but there was a victoria terrace there in 1968 0f we lived at number 5 next door but one to the canal . neighbours across the terrace were joyce and fred reynolds next door to the canal were dave and sylivia and they had a daughter think her name was julie. i went to tilton road school. funny it seamed a long way up garrison lane then to get to school only took a minute in the car. i can still remember my first day at school being excited to go back again in the afternoon. would love to find a photo of victoria terrace but no joy as of yet. i seem to remember there was a shop on wolseley street and im pretty sure the lady who ran it was called mrs aspry again not sure on the spelling of her name. there used to be a garage round there and there was a lady called joan who worked ther think it was a fina garage at the time. if you could suggest anything were i could find victoria terrace i would be grateful . many thanks gary
Hi Gary,unfortunately there is a rather long time between posts being read so i may be 6ft under by the time you read this!!!!!
I knew Fred and Joyce Reynolds very well,i was friends of Melvyn and Bryn.To be honest i can vaguely remember your name,but cant put a face to it.:) Anyway mate if you go on a site called Britainfromabove and type in Wolseley Street,
Small Heath then scroll down you should see Victoria Terrace and i believe you should see your old house.
I stumbled upon the site and found my old house (photo was taken 5 years before i was born).
My name is Mal Sadler and i lived at 94 ,Wolseley st (next door to Gary Rickets).
If you have trouble finding the pictures you are looking for feel free to contact me.

I have found out that some more of my BOTT family lived in Small Heath at 294 COOKSEY ROAD. Would there be a picture of the house or the road available please?
Many thanks.
This picture was taken on VE Day in Cooksey Road, close to Oakley Road, but the only person I recognise is my Granddad Harry Durant, first on the left. Can anyone put names to the other men in the picture?
Boomy

Attachments

• VE DAY (2).jpg
    VE DAY (2).jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 63
Hi all this is also a photo of VE day in Cooksey road, my friends Alan and John are sitting to the right looking at the camera in what looks like matching grey pullovers while their mother Floss stands on the left with the spectacles and bow in her hair.
hewittbj39newdan2 001.jpg

Terry
It was not built when thwe c1889 large scale maps were made, so you cannot go to that. The c1970 1:2500 map from the Old maps site does show the names of terraces etc that were extant then, but is difficult to read. My experience of obtaining a bought download from them is that you get soem better resolution, but not a great deal. the original before scanning must have been perfectly legible, but they don't send out a very good scan. I attach a copy of it. However the electoral rolls and directories and what you can see on the 1970 map enable us to insert some of the terraces etc. I have written in those that I can determine on a scanned alan godfrey map of 1901. Of those named, Morrison place and St Andrews both consist of two rows, and the remainder just one row. Hope that is useful

map_c_1970_tilton_rd.jpg

map_c_1901_tilton_rd_showing_terraces.jpg
Hi I lived in the last big house on Cattell Road before turning into Tilton. It backed onto Williams and one winters night the great thud from hammers broke one of our windows.Any photos of this area would be welcome.house number 30

I lived at no 30 Cattell Rd.the last big house before turning into Tilton Rd.the big thumps from Williams broke glass in one of our windows. Williams backed onto our garden. Does anyone have photos etc.

Hi,

I think its definitely post WW2 as I can see the bomb peck on the corner of Tilton Road
opposite the Royal George. I lived at 8/67 in the late 60's, up the first entry next to the
bomb peck. The houses were pulled down in the early 70's from memory.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

I think its definitely post WW2 as I can see the bomb peck on the corner of Tilton Road
opposite the Royal George. I lived at 8/67 in the late 60's, up the first entry next to the
bomb peck. The houses were pulled down in the early 70's from memory.

Kind regards
Dave
do you remember the old rubbish tip

Hi Pete,

Would this be on the Bomb Peck - I don't remember this, or maybe at the back of Raggy Allen's.
Please remind me!

Kind regards
Dave

Back