• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Small Heath Streets

B

bandito22

Hi All,

I am new here and not sure if I am posting this in the right place.

I lived in a street in Small Heath up to 1975 when they were demolishing the houses. I would love to find pictures of the street and findo out the name of it as it no longer exists.

I remember BCFC being literally at the bottom of the road and our address was '5 back of 67' I figured if someone had maps or plans for that era there must only be one house with that address.

Any help appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Bandito, welcome to the forum and your posting is fine here.

I'm sure someone on the forum will help you. I'm from not so far away at 2/66 Leamington Road, Sparkbrook, until 1966. Here is a photo of where I lived my youth just before they were also pulled down in the mid 70's. If you click on the photo you'll find more photos.

Graham.

I'm from not so far away at 2/66 Leamington Road, Sparkbrook, until 1966. Here is a photo of where I lived my youth just before they were also pulled down in the mid 70's. If you click on the photo you'll find more photos.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, Im am sure our house would be identical to yours. I have enhanced your image to try to make it look less washed out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi bandito22

See if you can sort the street out from this map,

Phil

Attachments

• Bordesley .jpg
    Bordesley .jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 141
Hello Bandito,
you may have lived in CATTELL ROAD ??? The number of your house will not be such a help actually...most streets had numbers like this...ours was 3/6...but you can be sure that this is the site to help you pinpoint where your house was.

Margaret

Hello Bandito,
you may have lived in CATTELL ROAD ??? The number of your house will not be such a help actually...most streets had numbers like this...ours was 3/6...but you can be sure that this is the site to help you pinpoint where your house was.

Margaret

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

I assumed (but maybe wrong) that as these were back-to-back houses that a number 5 backing onto number 67 would be unique in this area. Maybe I misunderstand the numbering system?

Regards.

Hi Bandito. Here is a picture of Cattell Road where it branches off the Coventry Rd. BCFC car park now stands off to the left.

Hi bandito22

See if you can sort the street out from this map,

Phil

Thanks for that map. I have been scouring maps for days trying to get street names. I am not sure how old your map is or whether there is enough detail.

I found this old map (c.1913 so possibly too far back for 1970 street layout?)

I am sure our street was one of those across the bottom or to the right of the football ground. Purely because I recall our road being a virtual T junction with the football ground and all the cars parked along the road around the ground on match day.

Thanks again.

Hi Bandito. Here is a picture of Cattell Road where it branches off the Coventry Rd. BCFC car park now stands off to the left.

Thanks for the picture, im sure I must have run down those streets doing mischief as a youngster.

The road we lived on was a 'typical' row of victorian houses facing another row of identical houses. I am almost sure the space between the rows was not a through road.

Regards.

Hi All,

I am new here and not sure if I am posting this in the right place.

I lived in a street in Small Heath up to 1975 when they were demolishing the houses. I would love to find pictures of the street and findo out the name of it as it no longer exists.

I remember BCFC being literally at the bottom of the road and our address was '5 back of 67' I figured if someone had maps or plans for that era there must only be one house with that address.

Any help appreciated.

Many Thanks.

It definitely wasn't Tilton Road, as no 67 didnt face houses (I lived at 8/67
(or 8/69 depending on your preference!) and I think they had been pulled
down before 1975 anyway. What back housing was left undemolished by 1974/5 in the locality might be the best clue.

Kind regards

Dave

Banditto,

If your street formed a T Junction opposite St Andrews it was almost certainly Arthur Street. Do you remember the tram depot later a bus depot on the corner of Arthur Street and Coventry Road?

Old Boy

Hi it could have been Herbert rd which faced the bottom of the football ground and was a T junction and had back to back houses and to the left off the bottom end off rd was the bus garage for no 58 & 60 and at other side off that was Aurther st but that was more opposite Kingston cinema .
Jean

From what you say about the cobbled street, it sounds more likely to be terrace than a street. There was one that ran between Cattel Rd and Greenway St, if I remember right it was called Ladybird Terrace.
There are so many roads it could of been.

From what you say about the cobbled street, it sounds more likely to be terrace than a street. There was one that ran between Cattel Rd and Greenway St, if I remember right it was called Ladybird Terrace.
There are so many roads it could of been.

Hi,

Sorry I did not know the difference but I am sure you are correct, it would be better described as a terrace. It did not lead anywhere, just houses facing each other.

Also, I had better explain, when I said T Junction I simply meant it was at a right angle to the football ground but no through road past our house.

I read on the 'All Saints' website that there were plans submitted in 1971 detailing the areas that were going to be demolished. If anyone has access to these that would be very interesting.

https://www.allsaintsonline.co.uk/information/history/history3.html

Thanks.

A school friend of mine lived in that walk through called Fay Kennedy anyone know her?

There were two terraces that joined Greenway St with Cattell Rd, I think Ladybird Tce and Berkeley Tce, but they were never called that by anyone round there as far as I know. Neither had cobbles as far as i remember, and bothe were on the even No.s side. there were some other back houses more r less opposite Berkely Tce, other side of Cattell Rd.

Attached pic of the end of what I think would have been Berkely Tce / Greenway St.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies and pictures. I have been told that the full address was 5/ 67 St. Andrews Road. I have not seen that road but I noticed St. Andrews Street so could be that.

I would be interested to find that on a map and see if my memory has been correct and be very grateful for pictures.

My apologies if my descriptions have not been accurate but I was only 5 when we left there, hence would like picture memories.

Thanks.

Thanks.

A bit earlier than you want , but attached is a map showing St ~andrews Road about 1902. More would hav e been built when you knew it. Houses back of 67 would be those marked in blue . Presumably no 5 would have been the last but one coming from the road. The terrace is called Olive grove in directories.
mike

A bit earlier than you want , but attached is a map showing St ~andrews Road about 1902. More would hav e been built when you knew it. Houses back of 67 would be those marked in blue . Presumably no 5 would have been the last but one coming from the road. The terrace is called Olive grove in directories.
mike

Hi,

Thanks for your info. The layout seems very close to what I remember but I imagine all the terraces were similar.

I am still a little confused. If our address was 5/67 St. Andrews Road how can it then also be 'Olive Grove' or some other terrace name. Were the terrace and grove names just ignored in the main address?

Similarly, if we were 5, back of 67 I assumed our house was at the back of number 67 in the next street. So, number 3 would possibly be back of 65 etc. Am I misuderstanding this??

Many Thanks.

Hello Banito I have recently worked in Dawlish Road Selly Oakand there are several terraces to " back houses " still there and although the terraces have names they are not in the a to z and the only sure way of finding them was by their " back" numbers Bernie

Banito
My map was in response to your request as to 5/67 St andrews road, and shows the terrace which corresponds to that address. On the first map you show, which shows st Andrews ground, the triangle of houses at the top left hand corner, next to Ada road, corresponds to the same houses in the bottom right hand corner of my map, again next to Ada Road, and just below, St andrews church. Your two maps are of a different area further down the coventry road, showing a different football ground.
when the houses were built at the end of the 19th century and earlier the back houses were often named as terraces or places. Someteimes you had a whole series of "X terrace", then a few yards down the road, "X place" , then " X grove" etc etc. Sometimes a row of houses in the street would also be called a terrace or some other name. I think, because this was a bit confusing, in many cases the terrace or place name tended to be ignored, and it became usual to put "back of" or just "5/67", as this made it clear exactly where it was.
I hope that has made it a bit clearer
Mike

Back