• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

small heath- street party

Homer999

hi all, apologies if this is the wrong place.
An old family friend died a couple of years ago who lived in small heath- herbert road. He was in his 70's when he died so am guessing these celebrations for street party were at the end of the war in 1945.

I lived in cooksey r oad until 1968 and my nan lived in Herbert Road and the man in question was her next door neighbour. I am guessing the photos were from somewhere around there but I have no idea where

Attachments

• small heath 1.jpg
    small heath 1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 94
  • small heath 2.jpg
    small heath 2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 94
  • small heath 3.jpg
    small heath 3.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 96
  • small heath 4.jpg
    small heath 4.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 98
What great pictures of an era I can remember especially VE celebrations in Heather Road Small Heath. I know it's a long shot but are there any pictures of the residents of Heather Road during that period as it would make my day.

Hi homer999 fantastic photos reminds me of our own party in Athur st which ran parallel to Herbert road I would guess the last 3 photos were taken at the Coventry road end just above the bus garage with Bastocks funeral director's on the opposite side of the road. Regards Acklam19.

wonderful photos homer thanks for sharing them with us....fingers crossed someone may recognise a face or two

mike i think its a trolly bus see post 3 but cant be certain

lyn

Wow! Thanks very much for sharing those pictures. Although I don't recognise anyone in them, the 4th picture includes No 11 Herbert Road with someone on the doorstep. My parents rented it from 1954 onwards until our family was relocated to Druids Heath in 1967 as part of the major clearances being done by the Council. I don't have any photos of the front of the house, but remember the two steps and arched window over the front door (which led into the front room). It had a cellar, an attic (which was big enough for a bedroom), and one room either side of the stairs. The small kitchen ran off the back room, with a small yard leading to the outside loo.
Memories! Thanks again.

Back