• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Small Heath Park (Victoria Park)

Going to work circa 1943/44 i was on a trolley bus going towards the City one morning, there had been an heavy air raid in the night and when we reached Tennyson Rd/Coventry Rd corner we saw a unexploded parachute mine lodged in a tree approx 30 yards down Tennyson Rd there was one Policeman standing on guard and a piece of tape across the road all the passengers including me were standing up, looking out of the windows at this mine nobody seemed to think it might explode!, later in the day the bomb disposal squad defused it, brave Soldiers every one. Len.

Hi, Is Small Heath Park near to Watery Lane - I don't rememb er my mum talking about going to a park? would it have been there after 1912? Thank you
Sheri

sheri, From Watery Lane out of the City past the Blues ground along the Coventry Rd you will find Small Heath Park on the right its still there i passed it 1h ago. Len.

I remember taking the children to Small Heath Park on Bonfire Night in the 1970's. A huge bonfire, hot dogs, toffee apples and fireworks too. It was freezing cold, but we all enjoyed that particular time in the park.

Anthea.

Hi,
New on site and just found this thread! What a trip down memory lane. Small Heath Park - one of my haunts! Great to see the paddling pools! I remember them with water and without! I always used to want to live in the house by the Coventry Rd gate!
Jan

I used to go to school with a Jill maddox she married one of the olivers vernon I think.

My cousin was a Jill Maddox before she got married but her married name is Hobbs. I am recalling somewhere that my mom talked of my uncle and aunt (her parents) living in Herbert Rd before moving to Castle Bromwich where I remember them living.
Jan

There was a large shoe shop on the corner of Coventry Rd/Charles Rd named Cresswells? (spelling) at the traffic lights Small Heath. Len.

Hi, Is Small Heath Park near to Watery Lane - I don't rememb er my mum talking about going to a park? would it have been there after 1912? Thank you
Sheri

Bottom end of Kingston Hill Park was along Watery Lane. front entrance was behind the Kingston Picture house. Not sure of the 'proper' name for it, but I think the top half had once been Small Heath Harriers training ground. There was what looked like a cinder running track.

col h & sheri

Would it have been this park, Kingston Hill Park. The only public park or space in Birmingham that still has prehistoric standing stones. It was said there were plans to build on it in the 80's. The plans were shelved due to a public outcry. Does anybody know is it still there?

Phil

I remeber it well Len bought my 1st pair of winkle pickers there I loved them were my fav shoes did I kick the dog up its ass when he chewed them real leather
and pearlised green awwwwwwww
xx

I remember it opening was great saved us to trek to cannon hill park
Jean

used to run round that track and my uncle was parkie there

col h & sheri

Would it have been this park, Kingston Hill Park. The only public park or space in Birmingham that still has prehistoric standing stones. It was said there were plans to build on it in the 80's. The plans were shelved due to a public outcry. Does anybody know is it still there?

Phil

Dunno if its still there, I'll have a look next time I'm round there.....

I dont remember the stones though, prhaps I'm before their time LOL.

I do remember the witches hat & spider web roundabouts - both will I'm sure be gone either cos their not PC enough, or health & safety or some other nonsense.

For some reason it makes me think of Union Cold Storage.............was that somewhere nearny ?

No Jean, if you are referring to J Maddox she has lived in Marston Green all her married life.
Remember the shoe shop but don't remember ever shopping there. My shoes mostly came from the co-op in town on the divi!
Curtesses a more discount shoe shop opened up later near Green Lane end, if I remember correctly.
Jan

The park that did have a cinder track at the rear of the old Kingston Picture House is Kingston Hill Rec. When they developed some of the Small Heath by-pass they used a lot of the sub-soil in Kingston Hill and created a mound (hill) and brought in some large rocks fom scotland to create a "crown".

I'm pretty sure that The Who played at Small Heath Park around 1969/70

Anyone else remember that ?

An event that big, you'd think someone would

Back