• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Small Heath Harriers

Loza

knowlegable brummie
I cannot see a thread for Small Heath Harriers so I thought I would start one and would be glad to hear any stories etc.
My Dad Reginald Breakwell ran for them in the late 1940s. The club later amalgamated with Solihull Athletic Club. The solitary runner was my father.

Attachments

• SMALL HEATH HARRIERS 001.jpg
    SMALL HEATH HARRIERS 001.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 66
  • SMALL HEATH HARRIERS 1 001.jpg
    SMALL HEATH HARRIERS 1 001.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 70
  • SMALL HEATH HARRIERS 2 001.jpg
    SMALL HEATH HARRIERS 2 001.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 59
  • SMALL HEATH HARRIERS REGINAL BREAKWELL 001.jpg
    SMALL HEATH HARRIERS REGINAL BREAKWELL 001.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • SMALL HEATH HARRIERS REGINALD BREAKWELL 2 001.jpg
    SMALL HEATH HARRIERS REGINALD BREAKWELL 2 001.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Wow fame at last. I am in a photo at BHF (photo 2). I was probably 13/14 then and it was the only time I did cross country running. Instead of running over wet rough muddy countryside I found playing rugby on a wet rough muddy field preferable.
My father must have been disappointed. He was in the club by 1922. The club photo for that year is attached, he was 17. According to his membership card, the Club HQ was at the Small Arms Inn Muntz street isnt that where SH alliance had its ground ?). Its training quarters were the Bull Head, Coventry Road where I think the photo was taken.shh22b.jpg

Looking at the year 1922 it looks like the Annual Meetings were held in October, and their "annual" in April.

There is a mention in November of the Bull's Head, Yardley being their HQTS.

There are details of the Annual Boxing Day Run.

Looking at the year 1922 it looks like the Annual Meetings were held in October, and their "annual" in April.

There is a mention in November of the Bull's Head, Yardley being their HQTS.

There are details of the Annual Boxing Day Run.

View attachment 132608View attachment 132609
Thank you. In 1922 their HQ was Small Arms Inn, Muntz Street but their Training Quarters were the Bulls Head. I have my father's membership card.

My mother was a member before the second world war, and I am trying to find out more information about her and the club as it was then.

My mother was Phyllis Archer and she was a member of the road walking team from 1936 to 1940, their record in the British AAA championships was 1936 1st, 1937 1st, 1938 1st, 1939 2nd, 1940 2nd. She also threw the Javelin and was selected for the 1940 Olympic Games, unfortunately cancelled because of the war. I have a list of her awards and copies of photographs of her taking part. Her coach was Mr C Lewis.

I can't find any further details of the club at this time.

Can anyone provide more help please.

My Grandad was in small heath harriers
His name was Albert Owen
He was a member in the late 1800’s early 1900’s.
He won several medals/ watches but unfortunately sold them ( he didn’t want his children arguing over them )
I would love to know where they are ?

I cannot see a thread for Small Heath Harriers so I thought I would start one and would be glad to hear any stories etc.
My Dad Reginald Breakwell ran for them in the late 1940s. The club later amalgamated with Solihull Athletic Club. The solitary runner was my father.
Hello, my grandfather was a member of SMH in about 1920 and his father too in about 1890 to 1900, their names Robert Alfred Dry senior and junior. They were both involved in cycling, running and football and I have 2 edwardian era football trophies I think came from that time I will try to post photos of. Would be great to learn more about the club and any records of past members.

My grandad and great grand dad lived at 24 Lloyd Street Small Heath before moving to Moseley where they lived at 63 Church Road. Both worked for the old Birmingham Gas Company, Saltley & offices. I am just starting on family history searches now starting here and using Census 1861 to 1921 to help me.

I had looked for the name connected with SHH but not found anything. However there is info connected to gas board, and will post later.

December 1936, Birmingham Daily Gazette...death of RA Dry.

View attachment 145611

Hello, many thanks I was aware of this but had lost the copy from the newspaper, my sister gave it to her daughter in Wales years ago. My great grandfather first lived in Small Heath, then moved to Moseley Church Road, my Grandad lived at 56 Church and my dad was born there in 1925 before the family moved to Park Hill Moseley, where my dad attended Stanley House School. I am pulling details from census on family history of all this so thanks very much for this attachment. I will see what else can be found. My great grandad had 4 children, Dora, Robert A junior, Winifred and Ethel. Census attached.Census 1901_RA Dry_E Lawrence_Moseley.jpg

My great grandad was in the Small Heath Harriers. Not sure of exact years but as you can see from the picture he was definitely active in the early 1900’s.
His name was Harold E. C. Poole

E8196EB5-36B2-4707-98FA-D3E286D40106.jpeg

The Birmingham Daily Post of May 1903 refers to The Small Heath Harriers Walk, but no mention of Harold.

C68D2260-9ECD-4BA2-9E12-A7227BFD9321.jpeg

The Birmingham Daily Post of May 1903 refers to The Small Heath Harriers Walk, but no mention of Harold.

View attachment 178259
This is amazing thank you show much for sharing this. The medal my mother found amongst my grandads things refers to standard time finish so I suppose he wasn’t quick enough to mention. He does have another medal which is solid gold and is 1st place for a “H. H Walk” which was 14 miles but no mention of date or whether this was with the harriers or independantly.

That’s a nice piece of history !
Agreed! Luckily my grandfather (Harolds’ son) kept my great grandfathers medals. I will inherit them from my mother and pass them down as such. It’s so amazing to have such a thing and then be able to read a news article related to this exact event. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this. You’ve made my day!

I WAS A MEMBER OF Small Heath Harriers 1954 to 1958, John Lake was a long distance runner, Clive oooo ran 100 & 220yd distances cant remember his family name.
I seem to remember we trained somewhere in Sheldon?
If anyone can fill in some gaps I would really appreciate input.
For me it was a good start where more experienced athletes would advise on training methods and strategy when running distances of 440yards.
They also had qualified 3 AAAs coaches. It was good fun and I progressed well over 100,220,440yd distances.

Back