• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Small Heath Harriers in the 50s

Ernie B

master brummie
Small Heath Harriers, I was a member in the 1950s, John Lake was across country runner during this time I enjoyed the training and coaching which encouraged me to improve my performance. I generally ran 100, 220, and 440 yards, but only and average performer. I can still remember when Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile and I couldn't wait to get to the Club to talk about this momentous event.
If any one out there can refresh my memory of that period I would appreciate it.
I have lived in Australia for the last 58 years so memory is not so good of those early times.

Cheers

Ernie Bird

Small Heath Harriers, I was a member in the 1950s, John Lake was across country runner during this time I enjoyed the training and coaching which encouraged me to improve my performance. I generally ran 100, 220, and 440 yards, but only and average performer. I can still remember when Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile and I couldn't wait to get to the Club to talk about this momentous event.
If any one out there can refresh my memory of that period I would appreciate it.
I have lived in Australia for the last 58 years so memory is not so good of those early times.

Cheers

Ernie Bird
My husband John Bassett was member of Small Heath Harriers in 1956, he said they used to meet up at The Three Horseshoes in Sheldon..my father & his brothers were also members in the 1920's

Back