• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Slums

Michael,

Welcome to the Forum. I just done a quick search on Baker Street, Small Heath, and it seems we've had two similar requests some time ago without any responses. I can only conclude from that that we probably don't have any. But someone may see this and possibly point you in the right direction.

Maurice

The Inkleys, bottom of Hill St and Navigation St behind New St Station was a very poor area in Victorian times.

My great grandparents lived in the inkleys, what was the inkleys and where was it, location known but was it in a place similar to a workhouse. Does anyone have more information about this place G

Last edited:
Hi Michael and Grea;
Yes this is very true postion of navigation street and thesurrounding streets of that area and there are more named
streets surrounding it and it published way back in time in 1904
it was the most dangerous street was navigation street after dark in the city of birmingham
the other roads was Rea st, Clyde st Francis st,
Top of the listing was of course Garrision Lane the home of the Mad Axman, Thomas Clarke
And it was a very slummed area of houses
And yes again guys and gals these are all included in steve jones book of Birmingham sinister side
every topic and place i have mention from the said book as the actual photographgs of these house,s
of those very streets i have mentioned including
the full story of the chief constable RAFFERTY whom was an ex police officier in Ireland
Whom was in charch of the Irish trobles of irelands in the 1700,
this is a fantasic book by steve jones and all from the police musium records
High volumed and packed in a bright red cover it also gives you the photograpghs of all crims
in there periods and a full back grounds of the winson green society of the prisonway back in time
and photographs of the floogiing they gave them young lads the cat and birch
and of the full story of the oringinal prison officier in charge and how got dismise inconduct
Also of the original peeky blinder photograpg in the slum houses of clyde street birmingham
I would imagine you can buy it on ebay cheaper than what i payed for it
and of course its all for the police funds of the associated so go out and get it
i have had this book many many years and i still pick it up and read it in bed
First published sept 1998; best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,

Thanks Alan I will look out for it. Do you know if the Inkleys was a road a court or an area G

Grea
As can be seen on the map below, there were two streets around the south end of Hill Street (to the north of Smallbrook street) called New Inkleys & Old Inkleys. The area around those two streets was the Inkleys

map c 1939 showing new and old Ink.jpg

Thank you mike. On census it shows my g g parents as living here and g g fathers occupation as a scavenger. G

hi G..in case you dont know defination of a scavenger in my book of old trades and titles is ...rubbish collector..so a olden day binman maybe

lyn

Well Lynn
In our day the expression was scavenger was worthless person picking up any think he could get is hands on
In other words a low life no good for any think scourng for any think
I would not have called an old rubbish collector a bin man ,, now , now ,
Speaking of bin men lyn , ocupation wise people thought it was meanles job and no one wanted one to do it
Just like the road sweepers job was they thought it was a low class job ,
but i can tell you by the 1960,s there was people queing up fast on the register to do the there jobs
Apparently Holiday street in those days there depot was in holiday street and we was told by a senior member no vaccacys
we have over 600 applications on our books for the postion you have no chance ,,
Best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,,

Hi pedrocut
By coincidence today my oldest son showed me that site early this morning and to be honest as i said to my son
There is not much difference compared to brum in thou,s years
But then it all depends of what area you was lucky enough to be brought in
Aston, Balsall heath Ladywood winson green , more so Ladywood as it is today a deprived area , but it was ten times years ago
before the regeneration of developments started we had severe slums in Aston lichfield road in the back to backs
We had to endure alsorts of filthy conditiond over run with rats cockroaches red plater bugs and get bitten alive
these was not just a single cockroach or single red plaster bugs the walls was massive hundred of them congrgating
24 seven like the cockroaches massives a army of hundrens on the walls and floors and stair way you could not walk down
the stairs in any time of day winson green was even worse and more so ladywood was what you was looking at on
the manchester site spark brook was run down as well back streets as i say i think it was like that across the country really
councils was poor and no money before the wars even after the wars
and if you was luckly enough to be brought up in the middle clas area of brum you was lucky
your own bath room and toilets , instead you had a slop bucket for the night and in the morning carry your ennamel bucket uo the court yards to empty it and que up with twenty or more familys
four toilets for twenty familys and of course you had to bring your own news papers for the nessary bit
should you feel the neede you had to go and more often thn not a neibour as already beaten it to you
best wishes Astonian,,,

I do wonder where those people in the slums ended up when they were cleared. I bet it wasn't in a nice little house on the posh new Corporation St.

Here is an outsider's opinion of Birmingham slums in 1912. This is from the Settmakers & Stonemason Gazette, but copied from an issue of the Chinemuri Gazette of the same year (in New Zealand)

Birm.slums.Settmakers& stomewrkers J.1.3.1912.jpg

Back