• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Slums

Hi pedrocut
By coincidence today my oldest son showed me that site early this morning and to be honest as i said to my son
There is not much difference compared to brum in thou,s years
But then it all depends of what area you was lucky enough to be brought in
Aston, Balsall heath Ladywood winson green , more so Ladywood as it is today a deprived area , but it was ten times years ago
before the regeneration of developments started we had severe slums in Aston lichfield road in the back to backs
We had to endure alsorts of filthy conditiond over run with rats cockroaches red plater bugs and get bitten alive
these was not just a single cockroach or single red plaster bugs the walls was massive hundred of them congrgating
24 seven like the cockroaches massives a army of hundrens on the walls and floors and stair way you could not walk down
the stairs in any time of day winson green was even worse and more so ladywood was what you was looking at on
the manchester site spark brook was run down as well back streets as i say i think it was like that across the country really
councils was poor and no money before the wars even after the wars
and if you was luckly enough to be brought up in the middle clas area of brum you was lucky
your own bath room and toilets , instead you had a slop bucket for the night and in the morning carry your ennamel bucket uo the court yards to empty it and que up with twenty or more familys
four toilets for twenty familys and of course you had to bring your own news papers for the nessary bit
should you feel the neede you had to go and more often thn not a neibour as already beaten it to you
best wishes Astonian,,,

I do wonder where those people in the slums ended up when they were cleared. I bet it wasn't in a nice little house on the posh new Corporation St.

Here is an outsider's opinion of Birmingham slums in 1912. This is from the Settmakers & Stonemason Gazette, but copied from an issue of the Chinemuri Gazette of the same year (in New Zealand)

Birm.slums.Settmakers& stomewrkers J.1.3.1912.jpg

Back