• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Slumberland at War

Bob RoB

My enquiry is not solely about Birmingham but about Slumberland Bedding Factory in London . During the WW2 my family were caretakers of the factory and we lived in a flat on the site. My father was driver to the boss until war started and then as he was unfit for active service became a welder working on air frames as part of the war work that Slumberland were doing among other things such as parachute making. As my family were very involved in the War work at the London factory I have an original publication by Slumberland Titled
SLUMBERLAND at WAR which is made up of photographs of the activities and information. I am looking to see if there is any one who is interested in this era of the Slumberland story as my father continued to work for the company as Lorry Driver and Transport manager and was often at the Birmingham factory. I was actually born at the factory in 1941.
M Riobertson

Slumberland are mentioned in a couple of posts in this thread:

My enquiry is not solely about Birmingham but about Slumberland Bedding Factory in London . During the WW2 my family were caretakers of the factory and we lived in a flat on the site. My father was driver to the boss until war started and then as he was unfit for active service became a welder working on air frames as part of the war work that Slumberland were doing among other things such as parachute making. As my family were very involved in the War work at the London factory I have an original publication by Slumberland Titled
SLUMBERLAND at WAR which is made up of photographs of the activities and information. I am looking to see if there is any one who is interested in this era of the Slumberland story as my father continued to work for the company as Lorry Driver and Transport manager and was often at the Birmingham factory. I was actually born at the factory in 1941.
M Riobertson
I would be interested to see pics. I worked in the offices at Slumberland,Tysley in the 70s. When I started I was given a colour publication of their history - sadly i no longer have it. At that time the founder, a very old gentleman, whom everyone called Mr Jack used to take regular walks around all parts of the factory and offices. I don't think he had any managerial capacity but still liked to be close to the business. In the 70s the man I assumed was the transport manager and scheduled all the deliveries was Reg Ashby?

I would be interested to see pics. I worked in the offices at Slumberland,Tysley in the 70s. When I started I was given a colour publication of their history - sadly i no longer have it. At that time the founder, a very old gentleman, whom everyone called Mr Jack used to take regular walks around all parts of the factory and offices. I don't think he had any managerial capacity but still liked to be close to the business. In the 70s the man I assumed was the transport manager and scheduled all the deliveries was Reg Ashby?
Thanks for your response. The period I am talking about when my father was transport manager at the London factory is from around 1946 when life returned to some form of stability and when my father had stopped being an auxuillery fireman based at the London factory where he had been issued with a ex London taxi cab as a fire engine which pulled the necessary pump and hoses.

Thanks for your reply The period I am talking about when my father was transport manager at the London factory is from around 1946 when life returned to some form of stability and when my father stopped being an auxillary fireman based at the london factory where he had been issued with an ex London Taxi as a fire engine to pull the pump and hoses. The Slumberland magazine I refer to really only refers to the London factory

Back